GARDA KILLER JAILED AGAIN: GARDAI TO ISSUE EUROPEAN ARREST WARRANT

first_imgGarda are to issue a European arrest warrant for Garda killer Martin McDermott, Donegaldaily understands.Raphoe man McDermott, who escaped from jail last week, was found in Derry.He appeared in court again today charged with criminal damage and assaulting police officers during his arrest at Altcar Park in the Galliagh area of Derry. He was sentenced to four months in prison. Gardai will then extradited him back across the Border when he completes that sentence.McDermott, 26, had been on the run after escaping from Loughlin House low security prison in Co Cavan.It is now believed that Gardai will issue the warrant so that the Donegal man can continue to serve his sentence in the Republic.He may also face further charges for escaping jail and will probably be moved to a more secure prison.Justice Minister Alan Shatter’s office has promised a full investigation into McDermott’s escape from Loughlin House.McDermott, who was serving a seven year sentence for the manslaughter of Garda Gary McLoughlin in 2009, became abusive when he appeared in Derry Magistrate’s Court last week.He called Judge John Meehan a “f******* w*****r” after the judge had refused him bail.McDermott, 26, was quickly removed from court but later returned and apologised to Judge Meehan.He was fined a further £150 for misbehavior in court and was ordered to appear again by videolink today.Despite having a litany of more than 90 offences, McDermott was interred at the low security open prison after being found guilty of the manslaughter of Garda McLoughlin form Leitrim.The tragic Garda was killed after the car in which McDermott was during ploughed into a Garda patrol car at Burt in 2009.McDermot, who was found to be drunk, was being pursued y detectives after being observed acting suspiciously.GARDA KILLER JAILED AGAIN: GARDAI TO ISSUE EUROPEAN ARREST WARRANT was last modified: March 22nd, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:arrestEuropean arrest warrantMartin McDermottvideolinklast_img read more

Marines targeted in probe

first_imgBoth the House and Senate armed services committees plan to hold hearings on the matter. Hagee met with top lawmakers from those panels this week to bring them up to date on the investigation. “I can say that there are established facts that incidents of a very serious nature did take place,” Sen. John Warner, chairman of the Senate panel, said Thursday. He would not provide details or confirm reports that about 24 civilians were killed. He told reporters he had “no basis to believe” the military engaged in a cover-up. In the Haditha case, videotape aired by an Arab television station showed images purportedly taken in the aftermath of the encounter: a bloody bedroom floor, bullet holes in walls and bodies of women and children. An Iraqi human-rights group called for an investigation of what it described as another deadly mistake that had harmed civilians. On May 17, Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., a decorated former Marine, said Marine Corps officials told him the toll in the Haditha attack was far worse than originally reported and that U.S. troops killed innocent women and children “in cold blood.” He said nearly twice as many people were killed than first reported, maintaining that U.S. forces are “overstretched and overstressed” by the war in Iraq. Pentagon spokesman Eric Ruff said Friday that he believes the investigation is winding down, but he would not comment on what the evidence shows. Ruff would not characterize the extent of Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld’s concern about the matter, but said he is being kept apprised of the investigations. Ruff said he did not expect any announcements in the next few days.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2The official did not disclose specific evidence. The incident, if confirmed, could be the most serious case of criminal misconduct by U.S. troops during three years of combat in Iraq. In an indication of how seriously the Marines consider it, their top officer, Gen. Michael W. Hagee, flew to Iraq on Thursday to reinforce the need to adhere to Marine values and standards of behavior and to avoid the use of excess force. A spokesman at Marine Corps headquarters in the Pentagon, Lt. Col. Scott Fazekas, declined to comment on the status of the investigation. He said no information would be provided until the probe was completed. According to a congressional aide, lawmakers were told in a briefing Thursday that it appears as many as two dozen civilians were killed in the episode at Haditha. And they were told the investigation will find that “it will be clear that this was not the result of an accident or a normal combat situation.” Another congressional official said lawmakers were told it would be about 30 days before a report would be issued by the investigating agency, the Naval Criminal Investigative Service. WASHINGTON – Investigators believe that their criminal investigation into the deaths of about two dozen Iraqi civilians points toward a conclusion that Marines based at Camp Pendleton committed unprovoked killings, a senior defense official said Friday. The Marine Corps initially reported 15 deaths and said they were caused by a roadside bomb and an ensuing firefight with insurgents. A separate investigation is seeking to determine whether Marines lied to cover up the killings. The investigation involves members of Pendleton’s 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, according to Lt. Col. Sean D. Gibson, a Marine spokesman. The unit is known as the “Thundering Third.” The official, who discussed the matter on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the yet-to-be-completed investigation, said the evidence developed by investigators strongly indicates the killings last November in the insurgent-plagued city of Haditha in the western province of Anbar were unjustified. last_img read more