CONCACAF Nations League Guyana vs Barbados, LeonoraCaptain of Barbados National Football team is of the opinion that he can achieve a similar feat to his cricketing counterparts by defeating the Golden Jaguars right in their own backyard.The anticipation for the International encounter heats up and by the looks of it, the Barbadian team is taking on a ‘no retreat, no surrender’ mantra as they gear up to kick off the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (Concacaf) Nations League on Thursday at the Leonora Stadium.Shortly after arriving for their encounter at the Eugene F. Correira International Airport, Ogle, captain of the Bajan side, Rashad Jules, took a few moments toCaptain of the ‘Bajan Tridents’ Rashad Jules addressing the mediaspeak with the media, giving off an air of confidence. When questioned about their knowledge on the Golden Jaguars, Jules stated, “Not much. But we have played Guyana previously in Barbados and we came away with a pretty good result so we look forward to winning this time around.”On the other hand, the Barbadian team which comprises of a handful of overseas players and the rest Bajan locals, is also said to be littered with younger players who are new on the international team. “We have a pretty young squad and we prepared specifically for the tournament. So we did the necessary research, we did everything that we needed to do for the games coming up,” Jules stated.Similarly to the Golden Jaguars team, the Bajan Tridents have been engaged in preparatory matches ahead of the league, one being their encounter with Jamaica. Speaking on that matchup, Jules disclosed that it worked well in the line of exposure for the relatively young players.“Playing against Jamaica was a really good experience for the guys, you know Jamaica is one of the top teams in the Caribbean and I think we did pretty well. So it boosted our confidence going into the Concacaf Nations League,” he stated.Aside from, the mainstream competition, Jules also noted that he is looking forward to playing in front of the usual vociferous Guyanese crowd.The encounter will go down at the Leonora Track and Field Facility from 19:00h.
A NEWSPAPER in the North has obtained documents which show how ex-Health Minister Michael McGimpsey axed a radiotherapy unit plans for Altnagelvin – which will serve the people of Donegal – at the last minute.The Sentinel in Derry found tha the proposed new cancer unit in Derry was amongst the five highest priorities across the North when his announcement was first drafted.One draft even stated that there was “no alternative but to progress despite the enormous constraints on both capital and revenue”. But less than two and a half hours after a draft stated the necessity of proceeding with construction work on the Altnagelvin project, the status had been changed.While the announcement was originally drafted to be delivered on March 15, and then March 16, the statement was finally delivered by Mr McGimpsey on March 23, as the Assembly met for the last time; at that stage the Minister stunned people of all political hues in the North West by mothballing plans for the radiotherapy unit at Altnagelvin, said the Sentinel.Answering questions from the Sentinel after the documents were obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, a Department of Health spokesman said yesterday that officials drew up “a series of drafts” adding that the final version “represented the points the Minister wished to communicate to the Assembly”.According to the documentation supplied to the Sentinel, the initial drafts of Mr McGimpsey’s statement – timed at 14:01, 14:53 and 16:19 on March 14, 2011 – included an announcement that construction could proceed on the radiotherapy unit, subject to normal business case processes. Yet by 18:29, the draft Ministerial announcement contained no mention of the cancer unit being one of the five highest priorities. The other four original highest priority projects were given the go ahead. These, along with projects in Antrim, Craigavon, Ballymena and Banbridge were now described as “high priority schemes”.The statement now said: “There is also a need to provide additional radiotherapy services at Altnagelvin Hospital but the final affordability of this is dependent on the outcome of discussions with the new Government in the Republic of Ireland, who will be contributing towards the costs of this project, and the ability to identify additional revenue costs associated with the development of this specialist unit.”By the time Mr McGimpsey made his statement to the Assembly on March 23, the project that had originally been regarded as being of such high priority that it must proceed despite financial constraints, was shelved.Asked a number of questions about the documentation, a DHSSPS spokesman said yesterday: “As with most significant announcements a series of drafts were produced by officials. However, it was the final version which represented the points the minister wished to communicate to the Assembly.”The unit will now go ahead – after support from the North’s two main parties Sinn Fein and the DUP – and from local TDs here in Donegal. REVEALED: MINISTER CHOPPED RADIOTHERAPY UNIT AT LAST MINUTE was last modified: May 13th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)