CANU rank testifies in ‘cocaine in engine oil bottle’ trial

first_imgRawle Mohan, an agent of the Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU), on Thursday testified before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan against Mark Gomes, the son of Andre “Zipper” Gomes, and Mohammed Kadir, also called ‘Puddock,’ another accused in a narcotics trafficking charge.The two men have been charged after they were caught with a quantity of cocaine hidden in an engine oil bottle.Gomes and two other men were arrested as agents of the Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU) intercepted the vehicles in which they were travelling during a drop-off along Sheriff Street.Officer Mohan told the court that on March 29, 2018, he received from his superior officer information and instructions to swoop down on the men.“Officer Roberts, another officer and I entered the CANU vehicle and proceeded to Sheriff Street, where I carried out a search of two vehicles, PMM5807 driven by Gomes and PNN7906 driven by Kadir, both cars white in colour”.According to Mohan, at 19:15h on the day in question, CANU ranks had positioned their vehicle in a southerly direction on Sherriff Street when they noticed motor car PMM 5807 parked in front of a bar in front of John Smith and Tinning Cup Streets in Campbellville.“From the position I was in, I could have seen Mark Gomes, who is known to me, sitting in the said car with the vehicle glass (wound) down,” Mohan testified.After 27 minutes of surveillance, Mohan recalled, he saw a white motor car, PNN 7906, approaching, and it suddenly stopped and parked in front of Gomes’s car, after which Kadir excited with a yellow bottle in his hand.Mohan noted that Kadir proceeded to the front seat of Gomes’s car and handed him the said bottle. “It was at the time I told officer Roberts (that) I had my target in sight,” he testified.Mohan then proceeded to the parked vehicle and identified himself as a CANU officer, then he instructed Gomes and Kadir to exit.“As I conducted the search, I found a 4-litre 20-50 Shell engine oil bottle in the front passenger seat. As I picked it up, I felt that it was weighty, then I noticed that the bottom of the bottle was partially cut open. I looked inside and I saw two bricklike objects wrapped in a clear plastic,” Mohan testified.Photographs of the scene were taken, and the men were subsequently arrested and taken to CANU headquarters for questioning. The suspected cocaine was examined, tested and weighed. It amounted to 2.25 kilograms.In January this year, Andre “Zipper” Gomes was arrested and remanded to prison after he was busted with a large quantity of cocaine.‘Zipper’s’ reputed wife was, in 2017, sentenced to four years in jail after she had pleaded guilty to stashing a large quantity of cocaine in a cooking gas cylinder.last_img read more

Paedophile caught with 334 child porn images jailed for 12 months

first_imgA notorious paedophile who previously abused a number of young boys has been jailed for 12 months after Gardai raided his home and found 334 images of naked children on a laptop computer.Hugh McBride has numerous convictions for sexually assaulting children in England and has served a number of jail sentences. He returned to live in Co Donegal a number of years ago and was on the sex offenders register which required him to sign on at Letterkenny Garda station every six weeks.McBride, 61, was caught with the naked pictures after telling Gardai about plans by other paedophiles to “share” a young boy in Co Cork.He appeared at Letterkenny Circuit Court after pleading guilty to possession of child pornography on his laptop computer at his rented home in Oldtown, Letterkenny.McBride had been contacted by another sex offender whom he met in Dublin’s Arbour Hill Prison while on remand.However, when he contacted McBride he asked him if he wanted to “share” an 11-year-old boy whom he had identified in Cork.McBride declined but reported the incident to Gardai.Gardai in Letterkenny decided to raid his house and recovered a laptop computer and other items from the house.The laptop was sent to the Garda’s Cybercrime Unit in Dublin and it was found to contain 334 child pornography images, many of which had been taken from a nudist website.The images were of naked children who were not being sexually abused and were at the lower end of the scale of seriousness, the court was told.When arrested and interviewed on February 10th, 2017 the accused said he had taken the pictures from ‘nudist sites’ and remarked: “that to me is not child porn.”When asked by interviewing Gardai if he had a sexual interest in boys he replied: “Yes, it never goes away.”The court was told that McBride lives a “pathetic” lifestyle and that he had been moved on from three houses when people found out about his past.The barrister for the accused, Mr Shane Costello, said his client had significant previous convictions and is already subject to a lifelong monitoring on the sex offenders register.He added “He always took responsibility for the images. It is to his credit that underneath all of this he went to the Gardai to report a far more serious crime, potentially of a boy aged 11 being shared about Cork city.“He still chose to go to Gardai and told them they needed to do something about it.”He also said his client was not buying the images of the children but that he was managing his own depravity by using images freely available to control his urges.“He now appreciates that even this is a crime and not a victimless crime,” added Mr Costelloe.Judge John Aylmer was told that the accused had previous convictions and he was told he had a number in England going back to the 80s and 90s.These crimes included gross indecency against young children, taking indecent photographs of young children and indecent assault for which McBride had served substantial jail sentences.On one occasion McBride was extradited from Ireland back to England to face a further trial there and was again found guilty and jailed.Judge John Aylmer said the maximum sentence for such an offence was five years in jail but he considered this case to merit a sentence of 18 months in jail.Passing sentence he considered the images were at the lower end of the scale and was satisfied that the images were not taken from a porn website, were not purchased and were not shared with others.However, he said the most “impressive” mitigating factor in the case was the fact that McBride had contacted Gardai about plans by another person to “share” an 11-year-old boy in Co Cork.Because of this, he had to consider suspending any sentence at all.However, because of his previous convictions, Judge Aylmer said he was imposing a sentence of 12 months in jail.The court was also told that a probation report on McBride said he showed a high risk of reoffending in the long term and a moderate risk of reoffending in the next 12 months.Paedophile caught with 334 child porn images jailed for 12 months was last modified: February 8th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:courtdonegalguiltyHugh McBridepaedophilelast_img read more

A superfast internet cable is going to be built under the Pacific

first_imgThe FASTER cable will connect the US west coast with two locations in Japan. Source: NECSIX MAJOR COMPANIES, including Google, are joining forces to build a superfast internet cable under the Pacific Ocean.The Trans-Pacific cable, which will be called FASTER, will connect the US to two landing locations in Japan and is expected to cost $300 million (€224 million).The cable will deliver speeds of up to 60Tb/s, and will connect Chikura and Shima in Japan to the west coast of the US. It’s expected that the cable will be extended to major cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle as well as beyond Japan and other Asian locations.The construction of the cable will begin immediately and is expected to be completed and ready-for-service during the second quarter of 2016.The six companies involved include Google, which is working with a number of Asian telecom companies like China Mobile International, China Telecom Global, Global Transit, KKDI and SingTel.Google already offer its own fibre broadband service in the US called Google Fibre, which delivers speeds of up to 1,000 Mb/s.Read: Worried your online accounts are under threat? Here’s how you can keep them safe >Read: The chances of you following a bot account on Twitter is higher than you think >last_img read more