It was Australia Day in Jersey today with the Australian Masters teams winning all three ‘Rest of the World’ finals that they participated in at the 2004 European Championships. The Australian Women’s Masters won the Womens Open division defeating Colonials 3-2. The match was close and exciting, being won in a tense drop off. The Men’s 35 years division ‘Rest of the World’ Championship final was between the two Australian Senior teams with the Masters team defeating the Veterans 4-0. Please click on the link below for detailed resultsSenior Tour Daily DiaryAll photos attached to articles can be viewed by clicking on the following link Senior Tour Photo Gallery Once in the gallery use the scroll down box to visit to the Senior Tour Gallery. The Mens Open ‘Rest of the World’ Final was won by Australia 6-2. The Australian’s gradually improved throughout the tour, saving their best performance for the final. The Men played as a team, refusing to allow the New Zealand University team into the game at any stage. The Australian representatives have produced the goods at the right time once again, both on and off the field. They have been great ambassadors for Australia by educating and assisting all Touch teams participating in the European Championships. Congratulations to all tour members, you have done Australian Touch proud!
OTTAWA — Three weeks after striking postal workers were forced back to work, Canada Post says it’s caught up on most parcel delivery backlogs that had been created by rotating walkouts.The Crown corporation says its normal holiday delivery service guarantees have been restored across most of the country, except Vancouver.The federal government legislated an end to job action by postal workers on Nov. 27 after Canada Post complained that a backlog of parcels was reaching historic levels ahead of the crucial holiday shopping period.At the time, Canada Post warned the backlog could take until the end of January to clear up.Canada Post said it delivered about four million packages between last Friday and yesterday, and will likely be able to deliver items ordered online in time for Christmas.But it also depends on where the parcels are coming from as Canada Post expects some shipments from outside Canada might only be delivered in early January.The Canadian Press
Tripoli: Forces backing Libya’s unity government battled to push back an offensive by strongman Khalifa Haftar on Sunday as his troops approached the gates of Tripoli after air raids overnight. Haftar’s self-proclaimed Libyan National Army, galvanised by victories in its eastern stronghold and in the country’s desert south, announced an offensive early this month to seize the capital from the UN-recognised administration of Fayez al-Sarraj. But his forces have faced fierce resistance from armed groups backing the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA), including powerful factions from the western city of Misrata. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USThe bloodshed has derailed efforts to bring peace to a country where jihadists and people smugglers have exploited the chaos unleashed by the NATO-backed overthrow of dictator Moamer Kadhafi in 2011. At least 227 people have been killed since Haftar’s forces launched their offensive, the World Health Organisation said Sunday, adding that a further 1,128 have been wounded. Clashes intensified on Saturday when forces loyal to the GNA announced a counter-attack. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential polls”We have launched a new phase of attack. Orders were given early this morning to advance and gain ground,” said Mustafa al-Mejii, a spokesman for GNA forces. Sustained rocket and shellfire could be heard in several districts of Tripoli on Saturday, after several days of less intense fighting and stalemate on the ground. Explosions were heard from the city centre overnight, and some witnesses reported air strikes. Pope Francis, delivering his traditional Easter message, called for an end to “conflict and bloodshed” that was killing “defenceless people” in Libya. “I urge the parties involved to choose dialogue over force and to avoid reopening wounds left by a decade of conflicts and political instability,” he said. Tripoli air traffic was suspended overnight to Sunday for “security reasons”, the city’s only operating airport said Sunday. At least two flights were re-routed from Mitiga airport to Misrata, more than 200 kilometres (125 miles) to the east, the airport’s authorities said on their Facebook page. They said flights had resumed early in the morning to Mitiga, east of the capital. The former military airbase was hit by an air strike on April 8, claimed by the LNA, and has since only operated between 5:00 pm and 8:00 am (1500 and 0600 GMT). The GNA counter-attack put pro-government forces back in control of Ain Zara, in the southern suburbs of Tripoli, where an AFP team confirmed pro-GNA forces had advanced, shifting the front line a few kilometres south. GNA spokesman Mejii told AFP on Sunday morning that “after a long day of military success, our forces are consolidating their (new) positions.” Some witnesses spoke of air raids and drones, but Mejii said the blasts were caused by strikes from LNA helicopters aimed at “terrorising civilians”. He said they had not caused any casualties but had taken place away from the front lines, without offering any further details. Military sources say the ageing Soviet and Russian fighter jets used by both sides are not equipped to carry out night time strikes, but Mejii said Haftar’s forces have a helicopter with night vision capabilities. The UN’s Libya envoy warned Thursday of “a widening conflagration” in the North African country. Ghassan Salame told AFP that “international divisions” prior to the assault on Tripoli had emboldened Haftar, who is backed by Russia and seen by his allies Egypt and the United Arab Emirates as a bulwark against Islamists. The White House revealed Friday that US President Donald Trump reached out personally to Haftar, as a push at the United Nations to broker a ceasefire hit trouble. A statement said that Trump “recognised Field Marshal Haftar’s significant role in fighting terrorism and securing Libya’s oil resources,” adding that “the two discussed a shared vision for Libya’s transition to a stable, democratic political system.” Observers saw Trump’s words of praise for the strongman as evidence of US support that explains Haftar’s determination to pursue his offensive to seize Tripoli. On Thursday, Russia and the United States opposed a British bid backed by France and Germany at the UN Security Council to demand a ceasefire in Libya. Russia insisted on having no criticism of Haftar in the proposed resolution, while the United States said it wanted more time to consider the situation.
Varanasi: Dismissed BSF jawan Tej Bahadur Yadav’s nomination as the Samajwadi Party candidate against Prime Minister Narendra Modi from Varanasi Lok Sabha constituency was rejected on Wednesday, poll officials said. Yadav was served notices Tuesday by the Varanasi returning officer over discrepancies in the two sets of nomination papers submitted by him. In the first set of papers on April 24, he had mentioned that he was dismissed from the Border Security Force. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange framework On April 29 he submitted a second set of papers this time as the Samajwadi Party nominee for the Lok Sabha seat but did not give out this information. He was also required to submit a no-objection certificate from the BSF, giving reasons for his dismissal. Yadav accused the BJP of resorting to “dictatorial steps” to stop him from fighting elections. “My nomination was rejected today even though I had furnished the NOC from BSF that was required by the RO, he claimed. I am a farmer’s son and I was here to raise the voices of farmers and jawans,” he told reporters. His counsel Rajesh Gupta said, “We will approach the Supreme Court”.
The canvass board will count absentee, questioned and mail-in ballots leading up to October 9. Any ballot sent through the mail that’s postmarked on or before October 2 and received prior the certification of the results will be counted. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The official results from the Regular Municipal Election are expected to be finalized next Tuesday, October 9. Unofficial results from the election can be found on the Kenai Peninsula Borough website. According to the Kenai city clerk the city’s three precincts had 125 absentee ballots left for the borough to count. Soldotna city clerk reported 61 absentee ballots, with one questioned ballot.
US-based multinational retail giant Walmart is reportedly looking to partner with Indian e-commerce majors, including Flipkart, Snapdeal, ShopClues, Grofers and Bigbasket, to tap the vast potential of the online retailing market in India.Amzon, Walmart’s rival in online retailing, is already giving tough competition to Indian players, and has recently emerged as the most-visited e-commerce site in India, surpassing Flipkart and Snapdeal.Walmart is said to be “actively considering” the idea of foraying into online retailing in the country after hesitating for a while.”Several businesses in the e-commerce space have approached us to become our members, and we are processing those requests,” Rajneesh Kumar, vice-president and head, corporate affairs, Walmart India, told Business Standard.So far, no foreign multi-brand retailer has a tie-up with online retailers in India.Walmart’s operations have so far been limited to business-to-business (B2B) segment in India, selling products to businesses, organisations and educational institutes. It had formed a joint venture with Sunil Bharti-led Bharti group in 2007 but decided to go alone in 2013 by discontinuing in the venture.With the foreign direct investment (FDI) in multi-brand retail being capped at 51%, foreign retailers like Walmart should have a local partner to launch their operations in India.In what could be a major setback for domestic e-commerce firms, the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), the agency responsible for formulating policy on foreign fund inflows, has told the Delhi High Court the marketplace model followed by online retailers is “not recognised” under the country’s FDI policy.The DIPP’s stand assumes importance in the wake of growing fund-raising activities by India’s biggest online retailers, such as Amazon India, Flipkart and Snapdeal. These firms operate as marketplaces, connecting buyers and sellers, and currently foreign investment is prohibited in such type of businesses.
Bharti Airtel Ltd, India’s largest telecoms network operator, reported a better than expected 2.8 percent rise in its fourth-quarter profits on Wednesday, boosted by a 15 percent rise in subscribers in its home market for mobile broadband services to 35.5 million.Consolidated net profit rose to 12.90 billion rupees ($194.23 million) in the quarter ended March 31, from 12.55 billion rupees a year earlier, the company said.Analysts on average had expected a net profit of 12.21 billion rupees, according to a Reuters poll.Bharti Airtel, headed by Indian billionaire Sunil Mittal, said total revenues rose 8.4 percent to 249.6 billion rupees.Separately the company also approved a share buyback of 14.34 billion rupees.India has over 1 billion mobile phone users, making it the second biggest market behind China, and the market for mobile internet services is growing fast as only a third of phone users already have smart phones.Over 100 million smart phones were sold in India last year and that number is expected to grow by over 25 percent this year while network operators are investing heavily in providing 4G broadband.In the last two months alone Bharti has spent about $1.2 billion on buying radio spectrum to expand its 4G service.
boingA Boeing 737-800 aircraft was added to the fleet of Biman Bangladesh Airlines on Thursday.The aircraft, brought on lease from Kuwait’s Alfaco arrived at Dhaka airport around 3:25am, said Biman General Manager (Public Relations) Shakil Meraj.With the latest addition, the number of aircraft in Biman fleet reached 16.Next month, a sixth Boeing 737-800 aircraft is scheduled to be added to Biman fleet while two Boeing Dreamliner 787 will be added in July and September.Currently, Biman operates on 16 international and domestic routes. It carried 26 lakh passengers it the last fiscal year.
Kolkata: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) questioned the former CEO of Narada News Mathew Samuel once again on Friday, sources said. Samuel went to the office of CBI in Kolkata in connection with the Narada sting operation case. Sources said that the CBI officers have questioned Mathew in connection with the original video footages of the sting operation. It has been learnt that the investigating officers have not got a satisfactory answer in this connection.Sources said that the matter related to the Muchipara case in which a former Central minister from Bihar had received a call demanding extortion money of Rs 5 crore and was threatened with some video footages. Storage devices containing video footages were recovered from a hotel room at Muchipara.