Chicago Marathon cancelled over virus fears

first_img Promoted ContentTop 10 Historical Mysteries That Still Haven’t Been Solved9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A Tattoo2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of Anime6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A DroneReal World Archaeological Finds That Would Stump Indiana Jones7 Facts About Black Holes That Will Blow Your Mind6 Incredibly Strange Facts About HurricanesCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayWhat Happens To Your Brain When You Play Too Much Video Games?6 Stunning Bridges You’ll Want To See With Your Own EyesThis Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s Hysterical Read Also: NBA star tests positive for COVID-19 Tokyo went ahead in March with only elite and wheelchair athletes taking part, while Boston was due to take place in April but was then rescheduled for September before eventually being cancelled altogether. Both Berlin and New York were also cancelled, leaving London – which was moved from April 26 to October 4 – as the last marathon race standing. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… The Chicago Marathon became the latest major marathon to fall victim to the coronavirus on Monday as organisers confirmed cancellation of the race for only the second time in its history. The decision had been largely expected, with several other major marathons around the world already suffering the same fate because of the pandemic. The 43rd edition of the race was due to take place on October 11, with an estimated field of around 45,000 runners and wheelchair athletes. “The Chicago Marathon is our city’s beloved annual celebration of more than 45,000 runners, as well as tens of thousands of volunteers, spectators and city residents,” Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot said. “Like all Chicagoans, I’m personally disappointed that this year’s event won’t take place as originally planned; however, we look forward to welcoming all runners and their cheering squads once again when the Chicago Marathon returns to our city in full force for another very exciting race.” Race director Carey Pinkowski said the decision had been taken with the safety of participants and volunteers in mind. “We understand the disappointment, but when we return to the streets of Chicago, it will be a celebratory moment and an uncompromising statement about the collective spirit of who we are as a running community: We are powerful, we are persistent, and we will reach the finish line again,” Pinkowski said. Chicago is one of the world’s six Major marathons along with races in Tokyo, Boston, London, Berlin and New York. The Chicago race was last cancelled in 1987 after a loss of sponsorship.last_img read more

Syracuse turns to spot-starts after injuries hit

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Comments Published on September 12, 2018 at 11:27 pm Contact Michael: mmcclear@syr.edu | @MikeJMcClearycenter_img A few days before Syracuse matched up with Hofstra on Sept. 2, SU coaches sat Michael Lantry down in an office. Kamal Miller sustained a grade one sprain in his right knee the game before against Portland and would sit out against the Pride.Prior to the meeting, Lantry hadn’t played a minute in college and he also didn’t have a No. 19 jersey — a misorder from SU left him with only a home jersey, which forced him to switch numbers. He had a sense of what was going to happen, but the news still “surprised” him: he was going to start.“They told me don’t be nervous,” Lantry said, “it’ll be alright.”Laura Angle | Digital Design EditorAdvertisementThis is placeholder textSyracuse (3-2, 0-1 Atlantic Coast) has experimented with spot starts early on in the season due to injuries. Though SU head coach Ian McIntyre raved about the Orange’s depth early on in the season, SU’s hand was forced to use its reserves early on as Miller and, more recently SU points leader Tajon Buchanan, went down with knee injuries in the early part of the schedule.Both missed just one game each — Buchanan missed SU’s matchup with Cornell — and it resulted in starts from Lantry and freshman Hilli Goldhar, respectively. John-Austin Ricks made his first start of the season against Hofstra and SU employed four players on defense when Jan Breitenmoser sustained a hyperextended knee. Lantry filled in Breitenmoser’s position and Sondre Norheim slid to center back in place of Miller, leaving Ricks to start at right back.“We’ve kind of had to chop and change a bit,” McIntyre said. “We have some different players, like my dad used to say, ‘Horses for courses.’ We can kind of shuffle the deck a little bit. Sometimes you’re forced to.”SU has received mixed performances in the trials. Against Hofstra, the duo of Ricks and Lantry had noticeable lapses. Ricks missed multiple headers and even whiffed on a clear attempt near midfield, all of which led to Pride possessions. Two of those mistakes resulted in goals, albeit on both multiple SU defenders had opportunities at the ball.Lantry held his own, yet the vocal differences were apparent, Miller said. Miller, who said that vocality is perhaps the most important part of the success of the defense, noted that Lantry is currently one of the quieter players on the field.Lantry said he was tired, too. By the end of the half, he noticed he was slowing down. It was a hot day, and Hofstra is a tough opponent for a debut, Miller said. Lantry didn’t anticipate the physicality the college game would bring. A center back in his high school and club playing years, the converted left back had to do one thing more than he ever has before: Run.“He played well. We won,” Breitenmoser said. “Everything’s fine.”Despite the learning curve for some, Goldhar found much more comfort in his debut. Already having recorded his first career goal — a go-ahead goal the same day Lantry and Ricks received their starts against the Pride — Goldhar assisted on a goal in the eighth minute against Cornell by fellow-freshman forward Ryan Raposo.Goldhar said he didn’t get a meeting with the coaches. He just saw his name in the starting lineup the day before. Goldhar and Breitenmoser both acknowledged SU strategizes on a game-to-game basis. Now, injuries have opened spots up. The mindset is no different.“Just get the job done,” Goldhar said.As SU lined up its starters for introductions against the Pride, Lantry stood alongside his teammates in relative anonymity. The freshman was making his first start, his first playing appearance and his No. 26 jersey was unverifiable on SU’s roster at the time of the game.At the time, he didn’t expect it to be a weekly thing — Lantry hasn’t played a minute in a game since playing over 60 minutes against the Pride — but even without the matching number on his backpack to prove it, one thing was for certain.“So … I’m 26,” Lantry said. “Not a big deal.”last_img read more

S’Eagles Coach, Rohr Demands more from Players

first_imgGROUP B STANDING AFTER DAY TWOTeam           P   W   D   L   GF   GA   GD   PtsNigeria        2    2    0   0   0      0      0      6Cameroun   2    0    2   0   0      0      0      2Zambia        2    0    1   1   0      0      0      1Algeria        2    0    1   1   0      0      0       1Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram WORLD CUP 2018 QUALIFIER. Its a marathon race, says NFF bossBy Femi SolajaWhile many Nigerians are still celebrating the Super Eagles’ win over North African foe, Algeria last Saturday in Uyo in a crucial World Cup group B qualifying match, Nigeria’s Head Coach, Gernot Rohr has declared that the celebrations should be put on hold as there are still more matches to play in the qualifying race.The Franco-German spoke at the post match press conference, after his charges dismantled Algeria’s Fennecs 3-1 at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium, Uyo.In the same pragmatic manner he reacted after the win over Zambia in Ndola last month, Rohr said: “We played a good match and got three points, but I want to say that there are more matches to play and we have to keep our focus.”Unlike in the previous qualifying round of matches, Nigeria look solid at the top of group B with six points, with second –placed Cameroun, which Nigeria next play in August 2017, four points behind.“We have a friendly against Egypt in Dubai in January, which will enable me to look at the home –based players, but I will continue to monitor the Europe –based players and we will see how we get matches for them on FIFA free dates.”The win earned Rohr, who was signed on by Nigeria August this year, three wins out of three matches.“I praise the players for their spirit, for their dedication and for their discipline. They all did very well and I am happy at their output.”Also yesterday the President of Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) President Amaju Pinnick celebrated three precious points but insisted that the Eagles will continue to take the 2018 World Cup qualifying race one match at a time.“This victory is very, very sweet. But as I said after the match in Zambia, this is a marathon. We have now won two matches out of six, and as a result of the draw between Cameroun and Zambia, we are looking very good on top.“The best approach is to keep focus, to know that we are not there yet but that we surely will be there by putting more effort in each of our next four matches.”The Super Eagles next play Cameroun home and away within a week in the third quarter of next year, and Pinnick insists those two games will be tough.“Cameroun have drawn their first two matches of the series and will play us hard in both legs, but we have to play them even harder.”last_img read more