Phones Share your voice The Cheapskate Super Bowl 2019 12 awesome cheap phones you can buy right now Mint’s deal is pretty excellent if you’re looking to test-drive a new carrier. Mint Mobile Chunky-style milk, anyone?In case you missed it, that was the cornerstone of Mint Mobile’s Super Bowl ad earlier this month — arguably one of the few entertaining things about that horrifically dull game.Me, I’ll stick with almond milk, thank you very much. But Mint’s latest trial offer — which ends tonight, Feb. 28, at midnight — is pretty darn good: Three months of service for $20. That’s $20 all-in, by the way, not $20 per month. See it at Mint MobileIf that sounds familiar, well, the low-cost-if-you-prepay carrier has been running a similar deal for the last couple months. But the difference here is that you get a bigger chunk of 4G LTE (aka high-speed) data: 8GB per month, a substantial jump from the previous 5GB.After that, you can continue with this 8GB plan for three, six or 12 months, paying a total of $105, $150 or $240, respectively. Mint also has 3GB and 12GB prepaid plans. Assuming you can afford these upfront options, these are some of the lowest prices around. To use Mint, you need an unlocked phone that supports GSM carrier bands. Ostensibly, that’s AT&T and T-Mobile, but many newer phones, such as the 2018 iPhone models, should work even if they were originally sold on Sprint and Verizon plans. Although I haven’t used the service myself, I’ve written about it many times, and I’d say the vast majority of readers have been extremely happy with it. (Your mileage may vary, of course.)Oh, and speaking of which: Mint uses the T-Mobile network. So if that offers good coverage in your area, so will Mint — but if it doesn’t, then you’ll probably want to look at other options.I know that many of you are still with one of the Big Four carriers — and almost certainly paying much higher rates. I’m not saying Mint should be your new provider, merely that for $20, you get a full three months to test the waters.Your thoughts? Comments 14 Photos Originally published on Feb. 4, 2019.Update, Feb. 28: Added deal-expiration information.CNET’s Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on PCs, phones, gadgets and much more. Note that CNET may get a share of revenue from the sale of the products featured on this page. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our FAQ page. Find more great buys on the CNET Deals page and follow the Cheapskate on Facebook and Twitter! 11 Tags Best laptops for college students: We’ve got an affordable laptop for every student. Best live TV streaming services: Ditch your cable company but keep the live channels and DVR. T-Mobile
Bharti Airtel Ltd, India’s largest telecoms network operator, reported a better than expected 2.8 percent rise in its fourth-quarter profits on Wednesday, boosted by a 15 percent rise in subscribers in its home market for mobile broadband services to 35.5 million.Consolidated net profit rose to 12.90 billion rupees ($194.23 million) in the quarter ended March 31, from 12.55 billion rupees a year earlier, the company said.Analysts on average had expected a net profit of 12.21 billion rupees, according to a Reuters poll.Bharti Airtel, headed by Indian billionaire Sunil Mittal, said total revenues rose 8.4 percent to 249.6 billion rupees.Separately the company also approved a share buyback of 14.34 billion rupees.India has over 1 billion mobile phone users, making it the second biggest market behind China, and the market for mobile internet services is growing fast as only a third of phone users already have smart phones.Over 100 million smart phones were sold in India last year and that number is expected to grow by over 25 percent this year while network operators are investing heavily in providing 4G broadband.In the last two months alone Bharti has spent about $1.2 billion on buying radio spectrum to expand its 4G service.
Virat Kohli won the toss and elected to bat first on a pitch which seemed conducive for stroke play. India got off to a stellar start as Rohit Sharma and KL Rahul put together a superb century stand for the first wicket. While Rahul was not entirely fluent, Rohit Sharma was at his best and after he was put down by Tamim Iqbal on 9, he never looked back.He galloped along to his fourth century in the World Cup and thus equalled the feat of former Sri Lankan captain Kumar Sangakkara as the player to have scored four centuries in one single edition of the World Cup. Sangakkara smashed four centuries on the bounce in the last edition in 2015. Overall, the Indian opener now has five centuries in World Cup and is now tied with former Australian captain Ricky Ponting and is one century short of Indian batting icon Sachin Tendulkar, who has 6 centuries to his name. Rohit joined Sachin Tendulkar in an exclusive list Rohit SharmaICC TwitterAlso, during this innings, Rohit joined Sachin Tendulkar in an exclusive club as the Indian opener became the second Indian batsman after Sachin Tendulkar to score 500 runs in a single edition of the World Cup. The batting icon achieved this feat twice during the course of his illustrious career (673 runs in 2003 and 523 runs in 1996).It has been a brilliant tournament for Rohit so far as he started the campaign with a brilliant unbeaten 122 against South Africa and followed it up with 57 against defending champions Australia. He then smacked a superb century against Pakistan in Manchester. After stuttering in the two matches against Afghanistan and West Indies, he hit form again in the match against England, where he scored 102.Despite India’s stellar start and a solid platform, the middle order stuttered once again and Mustafizur bagged a 5-wicket haul as Bangladesh managed to pull things back considerably as India could only manage 314. Rohit SharmaICC TwitterSpeaking at the end of the innings, KL Rahul said that the pitch was slow where the bowlers can restrict the scoring and apply pressure on the batsmen.”It will come and it is due. (The surface is) Pretty similar to what we played on a couple of days ago against England. It is really slow. The bowlers have bowled here before and know what lengths to bowl, what pace to bowl and hopefully, we will come out and execute our plans,” Rahul said after the Indian innings.
Free Webinar | Sept. 9: The Entrepreneur’s Playbook for Going Global The onslaught continues.On Wednesday night Anthem, the second-largest health insurer in the United States, announced that it had succumbed to a massive cyber attack. It may be the largest hack to hit the health care industry to date.The company, formerly known as WellPoint, has nearly 40 million customers that appear to be at risk, but the breach may have also exposed personal information for the company’s past customers, too. In total, the names, social security numbers, e-mail addresses, birthdays, street addresses, member IDs, and employment information (including salaries) for some 80 million people may been compromised. No credit card or medical data seems to have been taken.According to an FAQ provided by the company, the following Anthem brands were impacted by the hack: Anthem Blue Cross, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia, Empire Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Amerigroup, Caremore, Unicare, Healthlink, and DeCare. The company promises to provide credit monitoring and identity protection services free of charge to those affected.“Anthem’s own associates’ personal information—including my own—was accessed during this security breach,” wrote Joseph Swedish, president and CEO of Anthem, on a Web site—www.anthemfacts.com—the company set up amid the attack’s disclosure. “We join you in your concern and frustration, and I assure you that we are working around the clock to do everything we can to further secure your data.”Anthem has employed Mandiant, a division of cyber security firm FireEye, to investigate its attack. Mandiant was also called upon to investigate the last major attack to hit the health sector, which involved Community Health Systems, a Tennessee-based hospital operator, in August. That earlier breach consisted of 4.5 million records being compromised from April to June—and, like Anthem’s breach, did not appear to target medical or financial information.Mandiant pegged the Community Health Systems attack on Chinese hackers, an “Advanced Persistent Threat” group that normally targets U.S. intellectual property. Following that breach, the FBI issued a one page flash warning to the healthcare industry urging companies to be on the lookout for attacks.As reported by Reuters, which had obtained a copy shortly after it was disseminated, the agency said:The FBI has observed malicious actors targeting healthcare related systems, perhaps for the purpose of obtaining Protected Healthcare Information (PHI) and/or Personally Identifiable Information (PII)…. These actors have also been seen targeting multiple companies in the healthcare and medical device industry typically targeting valuable intellectual property, such as medical device and equipment development data.One problem the health industry faces is that many companies within rely on aging computer equipment—an easy target for vulnerability-seeking miscreants. “Legacy systems running outdated software and vulnerable application elements are contributing to these companies being a prime target for compromise,” says Jay Kaplan, CEO of Synack, a security firm that sells subscription security software, and a former NSA senior cyber analyst. “All of our healthcare information, from insurance claims to patient records, is being moved online for convenience. We are at the liberty of these companies housing our sensitive data to adequately protect this information.”According to V. Miller Newton, CEO of data encryption company PKWare, the corporate world will see a major hack every month this year—at least. The only way to solve the problem? “By armoring the data at its core with persistent encryption,” he says, which would render sensitive data into garbled text.“Old antiquated computers are not the problem,” Newton says. “The problem is that adversaries are going to continue to penetrate these systems no matter what level of perimeter network security they have in place. Every other major company and health provider in this country has to start to think about this problem differently. They have to think about it from the ‘information out’ versus the ‘network in’ perspective—that paradigm shift is starting to happen now, but it has to happen a lot more quickly.”An FBI spokesperson declined to comment beyond the statement the agency had issued saying that the agency was aware of the intrusion and is investigating it. “Anthem’s initial response in promptly notifying the FBI after observing suspicious network activity is a model for other companies and organizations facing similar circumstances,” said FBI spokesman Joshua Campbell. “Speed matters when notifying law enforcement of an intrusion, as cyber criminals can quickly destroy critical evidence needed to identify those responsible.”In terms of scale, Anthem’s breach looms large when compared to other breaches that have made headlines. Last year, Home Depot disclosed that up to 56 million credit cards had been looted. In 2013, Target suffered theft of 40 million customers’ credit cards and had lost the personal information of another 70 million. Unlike those attacks, Anthem’s is believed to not involve credit cards.When hackers infiltrated J.P. Morgan and stole personal information from around 80 million customers, they did not acquire highly sensitive data like social security numbers, as they have in the case of Anthem.Chris Petersen, CTO and co-founder of LogRhythm, a security intelligence company in Boulder, Colorado, said: “The barrier to entry for cybercriminals continues to decrease, and personal health information can trade at a premium on the black market. Healthcare providers and insurers are a veritable treasure trove for would-be attackers, not only storing PHI but also card holder data. The Anthem breach should put all healthcare providers and insurers on notice.”For current and former customers who believe they have been affected, Anthem has provided a toll-free phone number (1-877-263-7995) where it has promised to address questions related to the “very sophisticated external cyber attack,” as Swedish referred to it. When this reporter dialed the extension, though, he was met with a busy signal. February 5, 2015 Growing a business sometimes requires thinking outside the box. This story originally appeared on Fortune Magazine Register Now » 6 min read
Get the biggest Daily stories by emailSubscribeSee our privacy noticeThank you for subscribingSee our privacy noticeCould not subscribe, try again laterInvalid EmailWork has started to repaint road markings on three busy roads. The work on Dividy Road, Werrington Road and Bucknall Road started on yesterday and will take approximately two weeks to complete. Stoke-on-Trent City Council, which is carrying out the work, said there would be a mixture of day and night work with the use of temporary signals. Work carried out in the day will be done between 9.30am and 3pm to minimise disruption to motorists. Get all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you. If you have a story, get in touch with our Newsdesk on 01782 864 120. Follow us on Twitter @SentinelStaffs – the official Sentinel account – real news in real time. Read MoreRSPCA launches investigation after footage of man hurling sheep into Eccleshall field goes viral We’re also on www.facebook.com/sentinelstaffs – your must-see news, features, videos and pictures throughout Stoke-on-Trent, North Staffordshire & South Cheshire.