– Advertisement – The storm was 100 miles southeast of Cabo Gracias Dios on the border of Nicaragua and Honduras with maximum sustained winds of 160 miles per hour, the National Hurricane Center in Miami said on Monday morning. The storm was moving west at 9 m.p.h. Iota was expected to make landfall in the area on Monday night.A hurricane warning was in effect for several cities along the coast of both countries, where the storm was expected to produce up to 30 inches of rain in some areas through Friday. The intense rainfall could lead to significant flash flooding and mudslides in higher elevations, the center said, and that Iota was forecast to make landfall in northeastern Nicaragua and eastern Honduras on Monday night. Forecasters warned that damage from Hurricane Iota could compound the destruction caused by Hurricane Eta in Central America. As Hurricane Iota intensified and inched closer to the coastline of Nicaragua and Honduras, it appeared that there would be no reprieve for Ms. Rodríguez and many others weary residents of the region.The storm, which was upgraded to a Category 5 hurricane Monday morning, was expected to make landfall by Monday night, according to the National Hurricane Center in Miami. Those in the path of Hurricane Iota were not the only ones comparing it to Hurricane Eta.“It’s eerie that it’s similar in wind speed and also in the same area that Eta hit,” said Dennis Feltgen, a spokesman and meteorologist with the National Hurricane Center.The storm’s impact will be felt “well before the center makes landfall,” Mr. Feltgen said.- Advertisement – “I am afraid of the sea level,” Ms. Rodríguez said. “You can see the water coming up and up every minute, so I guess we will have to evacuate.”- Advertisement – The 2020 Atlantic hurricane season, which is set to end on Nov. 30, has seen 30 named storms and 13 hurricanes. Meteorologists exhausted the 21-name list that is used each season, turning to the Greek alphabet to name systems. The last time the Greek alphabet was used was in 2005, which saw 28 storms strong enough to be named.Scientists have found that climate change affects how hurricanes form and strengthen; rising ocean temperatures linked to global warming can cause storms to weaken more slowly and remain destructive for longer. In a recent study, scientists found that 50 years ago a typical storm would have lost more than three-quarters of its intensity in the first 24 hours, when it might travel several hundred miles inland, but now it would only lose about half.Alfonso Flores Bermúdez reported from Puerto Cabezas, Derrick Taylor from London, Allyson Waller from Texas and Neil Vigdor from New York. Johnny Diaz contributed reporting from Miami. More than 60 deaths were confirmed throughout Central America from Hurricane Eta. In Guatemala, rescuers feared that more than 100 people had been killed in the village of Quejá after the storm chopped off part of a mountain slope.Many people in the region were left homeless after a number of structures were damaged or destroyed. “Shelter is going to be a problem,” Mr. Feltgen said.Dozens of Indigenous communities were evacuated starting on Saturday night in Nicaragua and Honduras. In Puerto Cabezas, families were sleeping amid the rubble left from the previous hurricane.Elsewhere in the country, it was not immediately clear how many people had been transferred to shelters, but photos taken by residents showed hundreds of people being evacuated in Cabo Gracias a Dios and other remote villages.SINAPRED, the National System for the Prevention, Mitigation and Attention of Disasters in Nicaragua, had also suspended sailing and fishing in nearby waters.Sadam Vinicius, a father of three, decided to stay with his family at their home near the coast. Afraid of losing his roof, he tried to save it from damage by tying it up with ropes he uses for his work as a fisherman. “We have not received any aid from the government yet,” Mr. Vinicius said. “I am afraid of losing my roof.” PUERTO CABEZAS, Nicaragua — The situation was all too familiar for Marina Rodríguez: A destructive storm in what has been a record-setting Atlantic hurricane season was bearing down on the Mosquito Coast.The previous storm, Hurricane Eta, washed away her home less than two weeks ago, said Ms. Rodríguez, 47, whose children were helping her build a temporary shelter on Sunday.- Advertisement –
Calabar High School and St Jago had two qualifiers each entering the final of the Boys’ High Jump Class One at the ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls Athletics Championships at the National Stadium on Friday afternoon. Ricardo Clarke and Andrew Betton from defending champions Calabar and Lushane Wilson and Tony Haughton all cleared the bar at 1.95 metres. The other qualifiers were Brian-neil Robinson of St Elizabeth Technical; Peter Clarke of Camperdown; Alexander Thompson of St George’s College; Horatio Humphrey of Buff Bay; Malik Cunningham of Jamaica College, and Jon-Michael Davis from Kingston College. The final takes place at 5:33 p.m. on Saturday.
Team Lakay’s Kevin Belingon (L) and Geje Eustaquio talk to the media during their press lunch Wednesday at Dad’s in Ortigas. Photo by Bong Lozada.Kevin Belingon is one of the hotter fighters in the bantamweight division of ONE Championship, winning five of his last fights, three of which ending even before the start of the third round.For almost two years, the Team Lakay member tore through the 135-lb division like a storm but amidst Belingon’s fury there lied one typhoon stronger than him and that’s ONE World bantamweight champion Bibiano Fernandes.ADVERTISEMENT Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trial Belingon’s last loss was in January 2016 in ONE’s Dynasty of Champions 5 where he tapped to Fernandes’ Kimura lock 4:04 into the first round.Belingon hopes the time that had passed was enough for him to challenge an aging Fernandes (22-3), who turned 38 in March.“Bibiano’s going up in years now so this is a big chance for me,” said Belingon who is eight years the junior of Fernandes. “Of course I plan to exploit his age and for sure that will be a factor if our fight comes.”ADVERTISEMENT Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operations Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Lacson: Calamity fund cut; where did P4 billion go? PVL: Semis-bound PayMaya survives BaliPure in five sets LATEST STORIES Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding MOST READ If Belingon’s winning streak has stretched to five fights, Fernandes’ run is at 14 and includes seven stoppages.That huge discrepancy, however, doesn’t stop Belingon from seeking retribution from the man who last beat him.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown“All of us at Team Lakay continue to improve each day so when the chance comes that I get to face Bibiano in July I know I’m ready,” said Belingon (18-5) in Filipino during Team Lakay’s press conference Wednesday at Dad’s in Ortigas.“I am hungry for this title shot especially Bibiano submitted me in our first fight. That loss really challenged me to improve my skills so I never stopped until I got to that no.1 contender status. I really want to get Bibiano’s belt.” Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award View comments Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will host lunch on April 12 for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, who are arriving on their first visit to India on Sunday.Announcing the visit of Prince William and Kate Middleton, External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Vikas Swarup said the royal couple will land in Mumbai on April 10.”We look forward to welcoming the Duke and Duchess on their first visit to India,” he said, while asserting that engagement with the British royal family was an “integral component” of India-UK relations.The Prime Minister will host the lunch for the royal couple here, he added.According to the British High Commission, the Duke and Duchess will be given a starry reception on their arrival in Mumbai which will be attended by actors including Shah Rukh Khan, Aamir Khan, Aishwarya Rai, Rishi Kapoor, Hrithik Roshan and Farhan Akhtar and cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar.”The British High Commission in partnership with the British Asian Trust and the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel, will host a glittering charity reception and dinner on Sunday 10 April for over 200 people from India’s top film, sport and business figures,” a release from the British High Commission said.