A tribunal heard how Bandara resisted management pressure to cover the story, but eventually relented. The article was published online at 12.08pm, a tribunal was told.Despite a clean record in his 18 years at the company, after disciplinary proceedings, Mr Bandara was found to have been guilty of gross misconduct and given a final written warning. He had worked for the BBC for 18 years and had been a senior producer on the Sinhala service since 2000. Mr Bandara was in charge of publishing stories on July 23, 2013, the day after Prince George was born. A tribunal heard how Chandana, who has a Sinhalese father and Tamil mother, worked with a team who were mainly of Sinhalese heritage.Bandara was unsuccessful in his claims for race discrimination, but a tribunal found the final written warning was too severe a punishment, for an employee with such a good record, describing it as “manifestly inappropriate”. (Colombo Gazette) Mr Bandara claimed he was unfairly targeted because of his views on the Tamil people being persecuted by the Sinhalese-dominated government of Sri Lanka. But he decided not to prioritise the royal birth story, partly, he said, because it was the 30th anniversary of Black July, a brutal period which saw thousands of Tamil people killed in Sri Lanka. He was sacked just over a year later on August 15, 2014 after further allegations against his behaviour were made.Among several other allegations of misconduct, he was accused of making a derogatory reference to a colleague and shouting at others.The vast majority of these allegations were either proved or partially proved, but the tribunal ruled that the unfair final written warning, given for the dispute over the Royal story, played a large part in the dismissal decision. A BBC journalist has won a £50,000 payout for being sacked after prioritising a report on Sri Lankan politics over the birth of Prince George, the Telegraph reported today.Chandana Keerthi Bandara, 57, lost his job as a producer on a BBC Sri Lankan news service, and sued the BBC for unfair dismissal and race discrimination.
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Related2 years jail for miner who admitted to stealing employer’s GoldAugust 26, 2015In “Crime”Tumatumari men accused of stealing mining equipment placed on $30,000 bailSeptember 7, 2016In “Court”Murdered Brazilian dredge owner: One of the suspects a former employee- PoliceSeptember 28, 2017In “Crime” Eighteen-year-old Miguel Daniels and his 20-year-old accomplice Alension JosephMiguel Daniels, 18, and his 20-year-old accomplice Alension Joseph, both miners, today appeared before the Georgetown Magistrate’s Courts to answer to a charge of robbery under arms.Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan read the charge, which stated that on March 28, 2019 at Balata Backdam, Mazaruni River, Region Seven, (Cuyuni-Mazaruni) while in the company of others and armed with a knife, they robbed Andre Francis of 2.2 penny weight of raw gold, a gold scale and quarter bottle of silver all at a total cost of $82,000.The unrepresented duo admitted to the offence on Friday.Police Prosecutor Gordon Mansfield, told the court that the dredge owner had “washed down” his dredge and reported a production of 2.2 penny weight of raw gold.However, at about 23:42h, the dredge owner was asleep when he was awaken, and confronted by the two young men who attacked him.The dredge owner tried to resist but was overpowered, when Daniels and Joseph picked up the bag containing the items and made good their escape.The matter was reported to the Kamarang Police Station, an investigation was launched which led to the arrest of the duo, who admitted to the offence and was later charged.In a plea of mitigation, both defendants told the Chief Magistrate that they had mistaken the dredge owner for someone else, who had stolen money from them.The Chief Magistrate fined both Daniels and Joseph $7000 each. Failure to pay the fine will result in them serving three months imprisonment.