A pair of bills that were filed this week in the state legislature would require businesses to provide paid time off to all new parents.The bills, Senate Bill 1194 and House Bill 899, would cover up to three months following the birth, fostering, or adoption of a child, as part of the Florida Family Leave Act.“The need for paid family leave has increased as the participation of both parents in the workforce has increased and the number of single parents has grown,” the Senate bill reads. “Despite knowing the importance of time spent bonding with a new child, the majority of workers in this state are unable to take family leave because they are unable to afford leave without pay.”To qualify, an employee must have worked for the company for at least a year and a half, at an average of 20 or more hours per week.The bills will be discussed during next year’s Florida Legislative session, which starts on January 14.If it passes, the new law would then go into effect on July 1, 2020.
Nearly four years after the massacre at Pulse nightclub in Orlando that include 49 people and injured dozens of others, a state appeals court on Wednesday rejected negligence lawsuits that were filed against the employer of shooter Omar Mateen.The decision by a three-judge panel of the 4th District Court of Appeal upholds a ruling by a Palm Beach County circuit judge, who had previously dismissed the lawsuits against G4S Secure Solutions (USA), Inc.Mateen, who died in a shootout with law enforcement just after the June 2016 attack, had been employed as a security guard by the Palm Beach County-based company since 2007. He carried a gun in the job and had a Class G firearms license, which requires 28 hours of classroom as well as range training.The lawsuit raised arguments that the company had been notified that Mateen was unstable and dangerous, and that he had expressed a desire to commit mass murder against individuals in the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community, according to the appeals court ruling.The complaints also alleged that the company has a “duty to make an appropriate investigation of their prospective employees prior to, and use due care in, hiring them, providing them with firearm training, retaining them as employees or obtaining/maintaining their Class G firearms licenses, but failed to do so” with Mateen, the ruling adds.However, the appeals court disagreed with the plaintiffs’ arguments that the facts of the case had established that the actions of G4S “created a broader zone of foreseeable risk” to the victims. The seven-page ruling states that Mateen did not use weapons owned or controlled by the company, and that he would have been able to buy the type of weapons without the firearm license he held for his job.
Ginsburg was treated for pancreatic cancer last August. She also missed oral arguments in January of last year, after undergoing surgery to remove two cancerous nodules from her left lung.At the time, the Justice ended up participating in the cases by reading transcripts.In November 2018, Justice Ginsburg was also treated for three ribs that were fractured during a fall in her office.President Trump told reporters Tuesday that he hopes Ginsburg is feeling better and praised her for “actually giving me some good rulings.”“I wish her the best. I hope she’s better. I didn’t hear that, actually. She was just hospitalized? No, that’s too bad,” he said in the White House Rose Garden. “No, I wish her the best. She’s actually giving me some good rulings.” Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was discharged from the hospital Wednesday afternoon, after being treated for a possible infection.“Justice Ginsburg has been discharged from the hospital,” according to a court spokeswoman. “She is home and doing well.”The 87-year-old Supreme Court justice was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore on Tuesday “after experiencing fever and chills,” spokeswoman Kathleen Arberg said.“She underwent an endoscopic procedure at Johns Hopkins this afternoon to clean out a bile duct stent that was placed last August,” Arberg said Tuesday, while announcing Ginsburg’s hospitalization. “The Justice is resting comfortably and will stay in the hospital for a few days to receive intravenous antibiotic treatment.”Reuters: U.S. SUPREME COURT JUSTICE RUTH BADER GINSBURG HAS BEEN DISCHARGED FROM THE HOSPITAL AND IS HOME AND DOING WELL – COURT STATEMENT— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) July 15, 2020
The US Army is currently asking for the public’s help after another Fort Hood soldier has gone missing.23-year-old Sgt. Elder Fernandes was reportedly last seen on Monday afternoon after his staff sergeant dropped him off to his home, according to officials in Texas.According to the report, Fernandes’ family reported him missing on Wednesday and Fort Hood issued a missing soldier alert Thursday night.“Our primary concern is for his health and well-being,” the alert stated.Authorities in Killeen, Texas are also investigating the soldiers disappearance.According to their report, the soldier had been in the hospital for four or five days prior to disappearing, however, it is unclear why he was hospitalized.His mother, Ailiana Fernandes of Massachusetts has since traveled to Fort Hood to find answers about her son’s disappearance.Fort Hood has been in the spotlight due to reports of other missing soldiers including 20-year-old Spc. Vanessa Guillen who’s remains were found after an extensive search.
Bio admin House fire in Winter Harbor – October 27, 2014 State budget vs. job creation – January 22, 2015 Hancock County Court News Nov. 3 thorugh Dec. 11 – January 22, 2015 A foul shooting contest will be held Saturday, April 4, at Narraguagus High School in Harrington. Registration will begin at 10:30 a.m. and the competition will get under way at 11 a.m. with divisions for both boys and girls in grades K-12 as well as for adults. Each participant must have a minimum of five sponsors to compete and the fee for sponsorship is $5. Those with more than 10 sponsors also will be eligible for special prizes. Proceeds from the event will benefit the Narraguagus Snowmobile Club equipment and trail fund. This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textRefreshments will be provided. For more information or to obtain a sign-up sheet, contact Rena Perry at 483-6129 or Melanie Omlor at 546-8912. Latest posts by admin (see all) Latest Posts
Latest posts by admin (see all) Bio Latest Posts admin State budget vs. job creation – January 22, 2015 DOVER-FOXCROFT — The Mount Desert Island Trojans picked up their first win on Tuesday, edging the Foxcroft Academy Ponies 9-7 at Dover-Foxcroft.The Trojans took advantage of six Foxcroft errors and got two singles each from Mackenzie Curtis and Taylor Walls. For more sports stories, pick up a copy of The Ellsworth American. House fire in Winter Harbor – October 27, 2014 This is placeholder textThis is placeholder text Hancock County Court News Nov. 3 thorugh Dec. 11 – January 22, 2015
Our Sports ReporterGUWAHATI: Udit Gogoi of Assam lifted double crown winning both U-18 singles and doubles titles in the National Series Tennis Tournament which concluded at Kavali, Andhra Pradesh recently. In the singles final Udit defeated Aman Ayub Khan of Telengana in straight sets 6-4, 6-4. In the doubles final Udit partnering with Aditya Balsekar of Maharashtra beat Aman Ayub Khan(Tel) and S.Boopathy(TN) 6-3,6-2.Also Read: Sports News
COLOMBO: The Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) board has requested the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to explore options as to how India’s tour of Sri Lanka scheduled in July could go ahead, in the aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic which has brought the world to a standstill.As per a report published in ‘The Island’, “Sri Lanka Cricket has sent an e-mail to their counterparts at Board of Control for Cricket in India requesting the possibility of resuming bilateral cricket later in July.” Virat Kohli-led India are slated to tour the Island Nation in mid-July for three ODIs and three T20 internationals. But with the coronavirus pandemic halting all sporting events across the globe including the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, there is cloud over this tour too. The report further said that “when contacted by The Island, an official said that they would have to follow strict quarantine rules and the series might take place behind closed doors considering the safety of fans.” Sri Lanka Cricket has already seen England cancel their tour in mid-March after the outbreak of the pandemic in the middle of the second warm-up game. IANS
Our Sports ReporterGUWAHATI: Assam Amateur Boxing Association (AABA) has welcomed the Boxing Federation of India’s (BFI) decision to introduce a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) and Guidelines for national coaching camps which included a ‘special COVID-19 insurance cover’ for all campers. The secretary of the Assam Amateur Boxing Association Hemanta Kalita talking to The Sentinel said: “It’s a good step and would help the boxers to attend the camp without any anxiety.” According to the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) and Guidelines of BFI all the boxers, coaches and support staffs should be insured as per camp norms for medical emergencies and accidents. On the other hand all the boxers returning to national coaching camps will also be tested at the entrance for corona virus and will stay in self-quarantine for five-day (green and orange zone boxers) and 14-day (for red zone) prior to the start of training. However the date of the training is yet to be announced. Meanwhile Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) in its new guidelines allowed sports stadiums and complexes to open without spectators. Expressing elation over the development Kalita said: “It is very good news for us that the sports complexes and stadiums have been allowed to reopen. Athletes will get the chance to start their training once again. However we will wait a little to get necessary guidelines and permission from the BFI before we allow the boxers to start their practice.” Also Read: LaLiga clubs allowed to resume group training up to 10 players
ESTRANGED manager of boxer, Nicholas ‘Axeman’ Walters, Jacques Deschamps, has joined experts like former middleweight champion Roy Jones Jr., in saying the boxer was not prepared for his fight with Vasyl Lomachenko.Walters failed to answer the bell for round 8 during the World Boxing Organisation Super featherweight title bout between the two at the Hotel Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas.According to Deschamps in an interview with The Gleaner, “Nicholas was not prepared for his fight against Lomachenko, physically, mentally or technically.”“For a fighter like Lomachenko,” he said, “you have to be well prepared.”According to Deschamps, there should have been a two-month camp, during which, a number of aspects of fighting Lomachenko would have been taken into consideration and prepared for.“Apart from the physical aspects, Lomachenko’s style had to be taken into consideration and sparring partners should have been engaged to do what he was likely to do on fight night. I am sure that this was not done,” said Lomachenko.All is not lost for Walters though, as Deschamps believes that Walters’ ability could see him back at the top of the fight game within a year.Deschamps and Walters fell out over finances during their time together but both parties seem willing to talk, and the former believes he can still help the fighter.“Nicholas is one of the best boxers in the world, and if he applies himself the right way, he can be back to the top in less than a year,” he said.“I can get him back there, if he is willing to listen to me.”Walters has also admitted to not being quite ready for the fight, spending too much time focussing on making sure he was the right weight, rather than the technical applications necessary for the fight.A reconnection of the two could be on the cards as well, based on the conversations Walters has had with The Gleaner.“Mr Deschamps has been very good to me and I owe him a lot. I really do not have any problem with him. We have some differences but we can talk,” said Walters.(Sportsmax.com)