Patrice Bowen and Chris Safonoff share a kiss after being the winning bid on the home in Tarragindi.IT could be described as a “renovators delight’’ but the good bones of this Tarragindi family was what helped blow its sale price $50,000 above reserve.There were nine potential bidders keen to secure the home at 24 Newington St, Tarragindi. The auction drew a crowd of about 50 onlookers with Chris Safonoff and Patrice Bowen from Tennyson the winning bidders.The couple were both project managers who work for a construction company and said they would do up the home. “We will rent it out initially and then a year or so down the track, once we have a design, we’ll do a modern extension,’’ Ms Bowen said.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this homeless than 1 hour agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investorless than 1 hour ago“We love the character and facade.’’“We had a strong strategy for the auction. We’d been thinking about this house for three weeks now,’’ Mr Safonoff said.It was the first time the home had been on the market in more than 65 years. The home sold under the hammer for $750,000. It had a reserve of $700,000. Marketing agent Lynn McGavin of Place said it had been a very popular listing.“Throughout the campaign, we saw huge numbers and on the day of the auction, nine registered bidders,” she said.Ms McGavin said selling for $50,000 over reserve, showed the popularity of the booming location of Tarragindi.
A police officer provides security during distribution of the first tranche of the national government’s Social Amelioration Program to residents of Barangay Buhang, Hamtic, Antique. Local government units in the province are being urged to send the master list of beneficiaries who were left out of the first tranche so that they could also receive the P6,000 cash aid. HAMTIC PNP PCR Meanwhile, Amaran said the municipality of Anini-y has to liquidate first the release of its first tranche before it would be included in the second tranche.“We had been following up Anini-y for its liquidation but until now it has not done so,” she added. The inclusion of left-out beneficiaries is based on DSWD’s Memorandum Circular Number 14, series 2020, or the special guidelines in the implementation of the emergency subsidy program for additional beneficiaries. SAN JOSE, Antique – The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) is requesting local government units (LGUs) in this province to submit their master list of recipients who were left out during the first tranche distribution of the government’s Social Amelioration Program (SAP).DSWD provincial officer Melrose Amaran said on Monday all 18 LGUs were urged to send their respective master lists and Social Amelioration Cards (SAC) so that families also economically displaced by coronavirus disease 2019 will also receive a P6,000 cash assistance each during the second tranche.“The deadline for the SAP left-out master list and SAC will be tomorrow, June 9,” said Amaran. According to Amaran, LGUs should liquidate first the first tranche they have received before they will be downloaded with funds for the left-out beneficiaries.The first tranche of the SAP distribution helped 71,656 eligible beneficiaries in this province.DSWD regional information officer May Rago-Castillo, for her part, said senior citizens who receive pension lower than P6,000 will be included as beneficiaries of the second tranche of the SAP.Barangay Health Workers, Barangay Nutrition Scholars and village watchmen with a monthly honorarium of less than P6,000 are also included, she added.(With a report from PNA/PN)
I was reading an article in the Indianapolis Star about Southport’s Paul Scruggs. He is the third Indiana High School star to transfer to a prep school this year. Scruggs is headed for Prolific Prep of Napa, California.Most of these young men are doing this for two reasons. The one they are willing to talk about is their desire to play on a team that will hone their skills for college. They want to be a McDonald’s All-American so they can be a “one and done” college player.The reason they are not willing to talk about it is that the transfer is usually initiated by their AAU coaches. In high school basketball today, the top AAU coaches steer their players away from the normal high school program. These AAU coaches hope that if the athlete does well enough, they will reap some of the rewards that these prep stars might bring them.High school athletic associations are in a quandary as to how to regulate participation outside the confines of their high schools. So far, it seems the AAU is winning.
HOLYOKE, Colo. (Sept. 13) – Phillips County Raceway wrapped up the last race of the season with a double feature ending with the track championships for each division. The night started off by running four features postponed from Aug. 23 due to inclement weather. Garrett Sporhase checked out and won the first IMCA Xtreme Motor Sports Modified main, followed by Zach Hilzer and Jesse Taylor.The Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMod main was taken by Chad Dolan ahead of of Brandon Clough and Mike Lininger.Justin Bussell collected the checkers in a dandy of a first feature for IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars. Kyle Clough and Gregory Gutt completed the top three.Leland Stute, Michael Brunswick and Woody Woodhead ran 1-2-3 in the first IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stock race.It then came down to the wire determining track championships for each division. Still dominating the Modifieds was Sporhase, who checked out once again in sweeping the night.He was followed by Bubba Alvarado and Taylor.It had been a battle with Jake Adler leading points for the Modified division for the majority of the season with Taylor close behind. It all came down to the wire in the last race and Taylor was able to land the title. Brandon Clough finishing first in the nightcap SportMod feature, followed by Chad Dolan and Bryan Herrick. Dolan topped the track point standings.The Stock Car main was completed after plenty of action, with the top six changing positions from start to finish. Lloyd Meeske was running first when the checkered flew, followed by track champion Gutt and Bussell.The last race of the season came in the Hobby Stock division. Woodhead took the win ahead of Tanner Clough and Austin Davis. Brunswick was the top driver in the points race.
RelatedPosts Leclerc ends Ferrari’s nine-year wait, wins Italian GP Verstappen wins Austrian Grand Prix Formula One: Heartbreak for Leclerc as Hamilton wins in Bahrain Charles Leclerc has signed a new long-term contract with the Ferrari Formula One team through to the end of the 2024 season. Ferrari Academy driver Leclerc joined the Scuderia at the start of last season after a year plying his trade with Sauber, agreeing a deal believed to last until the end of the 2021 season. But he has been rewarded for a successful maiden campaign with Ferrari with a new and improved contract. A delighted Leclerc said: “I am very happy to be staying on with Scuderia Ferrari. This past season, driving for the most illustrious team in Formula 1, has been a dream year for me. “I cannot wait to enjoy an even deeper relationship with the team after what has been an intense and exciting 2019. I’m keen to see what the future holds and I can’t wait to get going again next season.” Leclerc went into 2019 as teammate to Sebastian Vettel, who was given number one status by team principal Mattia Binotto due to his experience as a four-time champion and after four years with Ferrari. But Leclerc quickly established himself, claiming two race wins and seven pole positions to the one victory and two poles for Vettel, and finishing 24 points ahead of the 32-year-old German in the drivers’ standings. The new deal makes clear that Ferrari see 22-year-old Monegasque Leclerc as their long-term future. Vettel’s current deal expires at the end of 2020. Binotto has no doubt that with Leclerc, Ferrari will again be successful. Next term will be the team’s 13th year without a drivers’ champion, and 12 since they last won the constructors’ championship. Binotto said: “With each passing race this year, our wish to extend our contract with Charles became ever more self-evident and the decision means he will now be with us for the next five seasons. It demonstrates that Charles and the Scuderia have a firm future together. “Charles has been part of our family since 2016 and we are more than proud of the results we are achieving with our Academy. “We are therefore very pleased to be able to announce that he will be with us for many years to come and I’m sure that together, we will write many new pages in the history of the Prancing Horse.”Tags: Charles LeclercFerrari AcademyScuderiaScuderia Ferrari
He made his senior international debut for Spain against Qatar in February last year, and was part of this summer’s World Cup squad. Chelsea defender Cesar Azpilicueta has signed a new five-year contract with the club. The 25-year-old has cemented the left-back berth at Stamford Bridge and played a big part in a strong start to the season for Jose Mourinho’s men. Azpilicueta joined the Blues from Marseille in August 2012 and has made 95 appearances to date for the club, winning the Players’ Player of the Year award last season. Press Association
Ginsburg was treated for pancreatic cancer last August. She also missed oral arguments in January of last year, after undergoing surgery to remove two cancerous nodules from her left lung.At the time, the Justice ended up participating in the cases by reading transcripts.In November 2018, Justice Ginsburg was also treated for three ribs that were fractured during a fall in her office.President Trump told reporters Tuesday that he hopes Ginsburg is feeling better and praised her for “actually giving me some good rulings.”“I wish her the best. I hope she’s better. I didn’t hear that, actually. She was just hospitalized? No, that’s too bad,” he said in the White House Rose Garden. “No, I wish her the best. She’s actually giving me some good rulings.” Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was discharged from the hospital Wednesday afternoon, after being treated for a possible infection.“Justice Ginsburg has been discharged from the hospital,” according to a court spokeswoman. “She is home and doing well.”The 87-year-old Supreme Court justice was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore on Tuesday “after experiencing fever and chills,” spokeswoman Kathleen Arberg said.“She underwent an endoscopic procedure at Johns Hopkins this afternoon to clean out a bile duct stent that was placed last August,” Arberg said Tuesday, while announcing Ginsburg’s hospitalization. “The Justice is resting comfortably and will stay in the hospital for a few days to receive intravenous antibiotic treatment.”Reuters: U.S. SUPREME COURT JUSTICE RUTH BADER GINSBURG HAS BEEN DISCHARGED FROM THE HOSPITAL AND IS HOME AND DOING WELL – COURT STATEMENT— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) July 15, 2020
THE Petra Organisation continues to shine bright at the helm of youth football and on Monday evening, they made another leap forward.The body embarked on a public/private partnership with stakeholders in Ansa McAl, Beepats and the Ministry of Education, to illuminate the ministry’s Carifesta Avenue ground.Giving the feature address, Education Minister Nicolette Henry contended that projects like these help to make rounded individuals who are in turn better model citizens.“As a government, we are very much interested in merging sport, culture and education, to ensure that young persons are holistically developed.”“The commissioning of the lights here certainly indicates a combination of partnership between sport and education, in this instance, Petra and the Ministry of Education.”She noted that more public/private partnerships are needed to develop many of the sporting facilities locally.Also present was president of the Guyana Football Federation, Wayne Forde, who said, “Their (Petra) focus on youth development is one that is unmatched by almost every other sporting organiser in Guyana.”He added that the body’s work complements that of the GFF, adding that the GFF alone cannot develop football locally.Speaking on behalf of Petra, Director Troy Mendonca stated that it is a dream come true for the body, with many more ideas in the pipeline.“It’s a representation of our mandate as an organisation and it is in sync with our philosophy and practised culture and that is to use sports in general and more so football as a vehicle for development,” he added.Ansa McAl, through their representative and Smalta Brand Manager Shawn Abel, contended that the company is all too willing to assist in football development.The facility will be used for the Petra Organisation’s youth programmes which include the Milo and Smalta tournaments as well as several of the ongoing features.
…Open category to be contested under lightsBy Frederick HalleyFOLLOWING the introduction of the Over-50 category in all of the other international tournaments, Georgetown Softball Cricket League (GSCL) will follow suit when it stages the third annual Prime Minister’s T20 softball extravaganza during the first weekend in November.Another unprecedented first will see the Open category played under lights on Sunday, November 3, at Everest Cricket Club ground, Camp Road, Georgetown.The Over-50 category, which started as a tryout in Canada in 2017 during the second edition of the Toronto Cup and has gained in popularity ever since, is being added to the Open and Over-45 divisions.In order to get local teams in tune and in top gear for the inaugural staging, the GSCL’s first-ever Over-50 competition is set to get underway shortly at several venues across Georgetown and its environs and, according to its president Ian John, the tournament will be played on a round-robin basis.Participating teams will be afforded free entrance with several trophies up for grabs and among the venues listed are Everest, GNIC and GYO.Meanwhile, John also indicated that several overseas teams from the USA and Canada have already signalled their intention to participate in the Prime Minister’s T20 Cup. He is, therefore, urging local teams to secure their spots since priority will be given to the first eight in each category.While the entrance fee remains free, teams are required to deposit a commitment fee of G60 000 or US$300 which will be refunded on the second day of the tournament (November 2). John pointed out that there have been instances where teams gave their assurances of competing and pulled out at the last moment, placing the organisers in a quandary to fill places, hence the reason for the commitment fee.John also told Chronicle Sport that the GSCL will allow three 49-year-olds to participate in the Over-50 division.The GSCL, John pointed out, will have zero tolerance for bowlers who are chucking with off-break and round-arm bowling being allowed and umpires will be given strict guidelines for players to comply with.While not stating what penalty teams are likely to incur, John disclosed that any issue featuring match-fixing will be taken extremely seriously and teams in violation will be dealt with accordingly.He cited instances where teams were allegedly accused of fixing games in order to allow other teams to qualify for semi-final spots. The GSCL president assured that the league is aiming to allow all participants a “level playing field,” and a committee will be tasked with dealing with any issues of this sort.All teams will be required to attend a meeting on Thursday, October 31, prior to the commencement of the tournament the following day, and their 15-member team list should also include identification photographs which will be placed in a database system.Once again, cheerleaders will be on hand to entertain the hundreds expected to be on hand for the finals while live commentary will also be part of the day’s proceedings.While a new Over-50 champions will be crowned, Speedboat and Regal Masters will be going all out to defend championship honours in the Open and Over-45 categories respectively.Registration forms can be uplifted at Regal Stationery and Computer Centre, 69 Seaforth Street, Campbellville and teams can contact the GSCL Inc. on 225 4802 or 226 4205.John reminded that the tournament will once again be very lucrative with patrons assured of lots of giveaways when the finals are staged.
OVER 60 youngsters completed the Malteenoes Sports Club (MSC) Cricket Academy yesterday after two weeks of learning the fundamentals of cricket, both on and off the field.The Academy, which began on July 29, aimed at nurturing and fostering the development of aspiring cricketers.It also focussed on realising the numerous opportunities the sport can offer professionally. The sessions were conducted at the club’s Thomas Lands facility.The participants were coached by Orin Bailey. They also had visits from a few other coaches such as Garvin Nedd and female coach Subrina Munroe.At the closing ceremony, Director of Sport Christopher Jones urged the youngsters to take the knowledge gained and run with it as well as to continue training.He also noted that it is important for them to strike a balance between books and the field.However, he also pointed out that most importantly they should enjoy the sport they play, as they represent the future of Guyana.Jerimiah Kelvin was adjudged the Best Player-of-the-Academy.The sessions included classroom and field work which provided training to become cricketers, umpires, scorers, journalists and broadcasters.The Academy has produced Test players such as Ramnaresh Sarwan, Ryan Ramdass and Narsingh Deonarine, along with former USA captain Steve Massiah, who played two ODIs for the USA while Azeemul Haniff and Ricardo Mohamed played First-Class cricket.