TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Everton threaten Spurs plans for Boca Juniors midfielder Wilmar Barriosby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveEverton are being linked with Boca Juniors midfielder Wilmar Barrios.Barrios has been linked with several of Europe’s top clubs, including Real Madrid, Tottenham and AC Milan.And Everton have now joined the race to land the Colombia central midfielder.He has a €20m (£18m) in his Boca Juniors contract, which could be triggered in January by the Toffees.Marca says the 25-year-old is up for moving to Europe from Argentina and a switch to Goodison Park would allow him to settle in alongside pal Yerry Mina, who joined from Barcelona in the summer.
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Derby fire five past Man Utd U18by Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United U18s were thrashed 5-1 by Derby County yesterday.Hit by a three-goal, seven-minute Rams salvo in the first half, it was a blow which the Reds couldn’t recover from, despite Mark Helm’s strike providing a glimmer of hope before the interval. Two further Derby goals after the break put the game well out of United’s reach.The trio of Bjorn Hardley, Calen Gallagher-Allison and Hannibal Mejbri – all 16-year-olds – were called up to make their full Under-18 debuts in place of Connor Stanley, the suspended Reece Devine and Will Fish, who had made an impressive bow for the Under-23s against Fulham the previous evening at Leigh.
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Rangers hero Fernando Ricksen passes awayby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Rangers player Fernando Ricksen has died at age 43 after a six-year battle with motor neurone disease, the Ibrox club have confirmed.The Dutch international had been battling the condition since 2013.Ricksen was a fans’ favourite during his six-year spell at Rangers after being signed by Dick Advocaat in 2000.He helped the club win the domestic cup double in 2002, the treble in 2003 and was captain for a trophy double in 2005.Rangers said they were “deeply saddened” to be announcing the news of Ricksen’s passing.”The thoughts of everyone at Rangers is today with his wife Veronika, his daughter Isabella and all his family and friends,” the club added.
Update: Webb has deleted the post from her Instagram page. Perhaps she jumped the gun on the news.Earlier: Katherine Webb will be returning to your television screens, college football fans – even if just for a brief moment. Friday, Webb, on Instagram, announced that on behalf of Pizza Hut, she’ll be making a “special appearance” at College GameDay tomorrow. She’ll apparently be holding a sign – and fans can win free pizza if they enter the code on it.Webb, now a model, was the talk of the 2013 BCS National Championship Game after announcers Brent Musburger and Kirk Herbstreit commented on her looks during the broadcast. She was then the girlfriend of Crimson Tide QB AJ McCarron – they’re now married.Will it actually be Webb in the flesh tomorrow? We’ll find out.
Santiago Solari says he will deal with Gareth Bale in private after the Real Madrid forward reportedly left their loss to Real Sociedad early.Bale was not in the squad for Sunday’s 2-0 La Liga defeat at the Santiago Bernabeu as the Wales international is sidelined by a calf injury.But with Madrid slipping to a sixth loss of the league season, Bale was pictured driving away from the stadium with more than 10 minutes to go. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Although Bale starred at the Club World Cup with a hat-trick in the semi-final against Kashima Antlers, his La Liga form has been mixed.The 29-year-old has only scored one league goal since September 1 and has again been linked with a move away from Madrid.Solari, though, would not reveal whether or not Bale will be punished for leaving the Sociedad match before full-time when he spoke to reporters ahead of Wednesday’s Copa del Rey tie at home to Leganes.”The fact that Bale left the Bernabeu is something to be solved inside the dressing room,” Solari told a news conference.2018 has been a great year. Onwards and upwards and here’s to 2019. Happy New Year! pic.twitter.com/EWmfsecMAW— Gareth Bale (@GarethBale11) December 31, 2018Solari was left frustrated by VAR after the technology was not used to award Vinicius Jr a penalty during his side’s defeat to La Real, which left Madrid fifth in the table and 10 points behind leaders Barcelona.And the under-pressure coach again hit out at the use of VAR ahead of Leganes’ visit for the first leg of their last-16 tie.”It all depends on the rules being more clear than the technology,” he added.”If the rules are applied in the same way then it doesn’t really clear things up.”Sometimes as a spectator, I don’t understand how it works. They will perfect it.”The other days they were not complaints, just us defending ourselves, which is our right.”Solari is unsure whether Brahim Diaz, who joined the club from Manchester City this week, will be available to face Leganes.”Brahim is fine, very happy to join Real Madrid,” he continued. “He made a great choice picking the number 21 [also worn by Solari at Madrid].”It will depend on administrative paperwork, I’d imagine.”
COLUMBUS, OH – SEPTEMBER 24: The opening kickoff takes place between Iowa and Ohio State during the first quarter on September 24, 2005 at Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. Ohio State defeated Iowa 31-6. (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)Ohio State football has added a game to the 2022 schedule. The Buckeyes will face the Toledo Rockets, both schools announced today. The game is set for September 17.Toledo has been one of the most consistent programs in the Group of Five. The Rockets have gone to seven bowl games in the last eight seasons. The team hasn’t finished with fewer than seven wins since 2009.Rockets athletic director Mike O’Brien is excited about the game. From Toledo’s release:“We are very pleased to add Ohio State to our non-conference football schedule in 2022,” said O’Brien. “Ohio State has one of the richest histories in college football and will be an exciting challenge for our program. We now will be playing at Michigan State (2020), Notre Dame (2021) and Ohio State (2022) in consecutive years. We think our players and our fans are very excited to be playing in these types of environments.”While Toledo is an in-state opponent for the Buckeyes, the two teams haven’t faced off too often. This is set to be the fourth meeting between the two.The last game between the two sides was actually fairly close. In 2011, the year before Urban Meyer took over at Ohio State, the Buckeyes edged out the Rockets 27-22.The first two games were not as close. In 1998, Ohio State won 49-0, and in 2009, the Buckeyes rolled to a 38-0 win.This is the second non-conference game added to the Ohio State 2022 schedule.The Buckeyes host Notre Dame on September 3, two weekends before the Toledo date. Ohio State says that it is working on a September 10 non-conference game to round out the schedule in its release.Other future non-conference opponents for the Buckeyes include Akron, Boston College, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Cincinnati, FAU, Miami (OH), Oregon, Texas, Tulsa, and Washington. This year, Ohio State hosts Oregon State to open the season, and have a neutral site date with TCU and an additional home game vs. Tulane.
LINCOLN, NE – SEPTEMBER 23: Fullback Harrison Jordan #38 of the Nebraska Cornhuskers carries the flag as the team enter the field against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights at Memorial Stadium on September 23, 2017 in Lincoln, Nebraska. (Photo by Steven Branscombe/Getty Images)It is still the 2018 recruiting cycle, but Nebraska football just picked up its first 2020 commitment. It is a good one too.Athens (Ala.) three-star dual-threat quarterback Logan Smothers announced his commitment to the Huskers on Twitter tonight. Smothers was offered by Nebraska in May.His commitment comes after he and his family took a 13-hour road trip from Alabama to Lincoln for an unofficial visit.“After a 13 hour road trip with the family and a whole day on campus with the coaching staff, I am extremely blessed to announce I am COMMITTED to the University of Nebraska!” Smothers tweeted.After a 13 hour road trip with the family and a whole day on campus with the coaching staff, I am extremely blessed to announce I am COMMITTED to the University of [email protected]_frost @Coach_Verdu @CoachChinander @HuskerFBNation #GBR #2020visioN pic.twitter.com/BPqf5MtWFL— Logan Smothers (@logan_smothers) July 27, 2018The 6-foot-2, 180-pound Smothers is the No. 12 dual-threat quarterback in the 2020 class, according to 247Sports’ Composite Rankings.He picked the Huskers over offers from Austin Peay, South Alabama, Southern Miss, Tennessee Tech, Troy and UAB.With Smothers’ commitment, Nebraska becomes the sixth Big Ten school to have a prospect verbally pledge for the 2020 class.
NEW YORK, NY – SEPTEMBER 23: GameDay host Kirk Herbstreit is seen during ESPN’s College GameDay show at Times Square on September 23, 2017 in New York City. (Photo by Mike Stobe/Getty Images)On Tuesday night, the College Football Playoff committee released its second round of rankings following Week 10 action. Alabama once again took the top spot after a dominant performance against former No. 3 LSU.Clemson remained at No. 2 in the new standings, while Notre Dame, Michigan, Georgia, and Oklahoma all moved up one spot thanks to the Tigers’ 29-0 loss.After the poll was released, the ESPN panel of college football experts broke down the list. When asked if Georgia could overtake Michigan for the No. 4 spot, Kirk Herbstreit placed full confidence in the Wolverines.Here’s what Herbie had to say about Jim Harbaugh’s team.“Don’t underestimate this Michigan team. Their defense is legit and now their offense is championship caliber as well with Shea Patterson. I have no issue with Michigan sitting up there above Georgia.”The Wolverines field one of, if not the, best defense in the nation this year. Barring a massive upset, Michigan will enter its final game of the regular season as a top-4 team in the country – that game comes on the road in Columbus against the Ohio State Buckeyes.
With preseason camp in full force across the country, Maryland head coach Mike Locksley announced that Jones is eligible to play this fall.Maryland doesn’t exactly have proven commodities at linebacker, which means Jones should see the field this season.Mike Locksley just announced that Ohio State transfer Keandre Jones has been cleared immediately eligible to play for Maryland football this fall.— Testudo Times (@testudotimes) August 2, 2019The Terrapins should be in somewhat of a rebuilding season under Locksley. He’s returning to the program after serving as the offensive coordinator for Alabama.Jones will get to play against his former teammates later in the season, when Ohio State hosts Maryland in November. CHICAGO, IL – JUL 18: Marylands Terapins head coach Michael Locksley is seen at Big Ten football media days on July 18, 2019 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Michael Hickey/Getty Images)Back in January, Keandre Jones announced that he would transfer from Ohio State to Maryland. It took months of waiting to find out if he’ll be eligible for this season, but his head coach has finally revealed his playing status.Jones initially committed to Maryland coming out of high school. After taking a few visits elsewhere, the former four-star recruit decided to decommit and join Ohio State.In his three years with the Buckeyes, Jones saw most of his snaps come on special teams. The team had far too many linebackers on the depth chart, result in him to see limited time on defense.Fortunately for Jones, he’ll have a better opportunity to shine on defense for Maryland.
The Cardinals got their first win in the series in 1995, winning 13-10.From 1994 to 2006, the game was played on the first week of the season. From 2007 to 2013, the game was played during the the third week of the season when hosted by the Wildcats, and the first week of the season when hosted by the Cardinals. In 2014, the date of the game was changed to the last week of the season for all venues.Last year Kentucky beat Louisville 56-10, their largest margin of victory over the Cardinals since 1922. The win gave the Wildcats wins in two of their last three.To date, Kentucky leads the all-time series 16-15.[FBSchedules.com] LOUISVILLE, KY – NOVEMBER 24: Terry Wilson #3 of the Kentucky Wildcats runs with the ball against the Louisville Cardinals on November 24, 2018 in Louisville, Kentucky. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)The Kentucky-Louisville football rivalry lacks the history and prestige of its basketball counterpart. But since 1994 it’s been contested annually, and it looks like it won’t be going away any time soon.According to FBSchedules.com, the Kentucky-Louisville football rivalry, also known as the Governor’s Cup, is being extended until 2027. The two sides have played each other annually since 1994, alternating home venues each year.From the report:Louisville and Kentucky will continue their annual battle for The Governor’s Cup through the 2027 season, FBSchedules.com has learned.A copy of the contract extension was obtained by FBSchedules.com from the University of Louisville via a state open records request.Louisville and Kentucky have been playing under a contract that began with the 2011 season. It called for games to be played during the first three weeks of the season from 2011 through 2016.First played in 1912, Kentucky did not allow Louisville to score once in the first six games of the rivalry, winning all six. After a 70 year hiatus from 1924 to 1994, the rivalry renewed with Kentucky once again beating Louisville.