RSF disturbed by Moroccan journalist’s 12-year jail sentence

first_imgNews April 28, 2021 Find out more Hunger strike is last resort for some imprisoned Moroccan journalists RSF_en Organisation News RSF joins Middle East and North Africa coalition to combat digital surveillance to go further NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say Follow the news on Morocco / Western Sahara Morocco / Western SaharaMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesProtecting journalistsOnline freedomsMedia independence Conflicts of interestImprisonedInternetFreedom of expressionJudicial harassment News June 8, 2021 Find out more Bouachrine had been held since February on charges of human trafficking, abuse of power for sexual purposes, rape and attempted rape. The trial, which began on 8 March, was held behind closed doors and, in a verdict handed down on the night of 9 November, the court convicted him of sexual assaulting a number of women and dropped the other charges. Many aspects of the trial contributed to the doubts surrounding the case. It was expedited at the prosecution’s request. Plaintiffs were pressured by the authorities and some denied making complaints against Bouachrine. One was close to a government official he had criticized. And the court rejected defence requests for alternative expert evidence.“This case seems to indicate a desire to persecute a journalist who had fallen foul of the authorities in the past in connection with his journalism,” RSF said. “The conduct of the trial prevents us from ruling out the hypothesis that it was trumped up or at least exploited in order to further discredit him as a journalist. The verdict is marred by doubt.”Bouachrine was prosecuted in 2009 for a cartoon that allegedly disrespected the royal family and national flag, in 2015 for an article deemed to have undermined “Morocco’s reputation,” and in early 2018 for defaming two government ministers.Morocco is ranked 135th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2018 World Press Freedom Index. News November 12, 2018 RSF disturbed by Moroccan journalist’s 12-year jail sentence April 15, 2021 Find out more Morocco / Western SaharaMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesProtecting journalistsOnline freedomsMedia independence Conflicts of interestImprisonedInternetFreedom of expressionJudicial harassment Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is disturbed by the 12-year jail sentence that a Casablanca criminal court has passed on Taoufiq Bouachrine, the publisher of the daily Akhbar al-Youm, on sexual assault charges that he has always denied. Many doubts surround the verdict, RSF says. Help by sharing this information Receive email alertslast_img read more

Public health advice is key for downward trends – Kelleher

first_imgThe Health Minister says Ireland’s now at a ‘crucial moment’ in its fight against Covid-19.Simon Harris’ comments come as the first phase of the government’s plan to ease restrictions comes into effect tomorrow.Latest figures show 54 people are now being treated for the virus in ICU – down from 72 this day last week.Meanwhile 92 new cases of the virus were reported yesterday – the first time the number has been below 100 in two months. Donegal had 1 new confirmed case.Dr Kevin Kelleher from the HSE says sticking to public health advice is key if the downward trends are to continue:Audio Playerhttps://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/virus-lead1pm.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Public health advice is key for downward trends – Kelleher RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR By News Highland – May 17, 2020 Previous articleGovernment establishes “Return to Sport Expert Group” to advise sporting bodiesNext articleMen charged with burglary to appear at Derry magistrates court News Highland Twitter Derry draw with Pats: Higgins & Thomson Reaction WhatsApp Pinterest FT Report: Derry City 2 St Pats 2 Google+ Facebookcenter_img DL Debate – 24/05/21 Facebook WhatsApp News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Twitter AudioHomepage BannerNews Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Google+ Pinterest Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population growslast_img read more

Apple’s Steve Jobs unveils new Macs featuring Intel processors

first_imgSAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Apple Computer Inc.’s historic shift to Intel Corp. microprocessors came months earlier than expected Tuesday as CEO Steve Jobs unveiled desktop and notebook computers based on new two-brained chips from the world’s largest semiconductor company’s. The first Macs to deploy Intel’s Core Duo processors will be the latest iMac desktop, whose circuitry is all built into the display, and the MacBook Pro laptop. When it announced the switch in June, Apple said it expected to begin making the transition by mid-2006. On Tuesday, Apple chief executive Steve Jobs was joined at the Macworld expo by Intel CEO Paul Otellini to unveil the new jointly designed computers. Intel, on the other hand, has been focusing on developing chips specifically tailored for notebooks. In 2003, it launched its Centrino notebook technology with a processor that boosted a longer battery life by minimizing its power demand without a major hit to performance. During last week’s International Consumer Electronics Show, Intel unveiled the latest generation, the Core Duo, which features two computing engines on a single piece of silicon. It was that chip that the Apple decided to fit into the new iMac. The new iMacs will have the same all-in-one design as previous models and will be available with 17-inch and 20-inch screens for $1,299 and $1,699. Jobs claimed the new models are two to three times faster than the iMac G5, based on an IBM chip. “With (the) Mac OS X (operating system) plus Intel’s latest dual-core processor under the hood, the new iMac delivers performance that will knock our customers’ socks off,” said Jobs. The MacBooks Pros start at $1,999. The Core Duo chip’s low energy requirements are expected to enable ever-smaller computers, including some built right into television sets as the industry gears its machines more toward multimedia use.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita Otellini came onstage wearing a clean room suit that the chip company has famously used in its ad campaigns — and that Apple once lampooned in its ads of its own. For years, Apple shunned Intel, which has provided chips that power a majority of the world’s PCs, along with Windows software from Microsoft Corp. In the late 1990s, Apple even ran TV ads with a Pentium II glued to a snail and others with a toasted clean room suit. But Apple, looking for faster, more energy-efficient chips, became increasingly frustrated in recent years as its chip suppliers, IBM Corp. and Motorola Corp.’s spinoff, Freescale Semiconductor Inc., failed to meet its needs. Of particular concern was IBM’s apparent inability to develop a G5 chip that would work well in notebook computers.last_img read more

Miss Donegal 2019 calling for applicants

first_imgThe Miss Donegal pageant has launched a search for candidates for the 2019 competition.Winners of the regional titles take on an important role: becoming an ambassador for the county and going on to compete for the Miss Ireland crown and the chance to travel to the Miss World international pageant.Buncrana model Lauren Mc Donagh was the first Donegal woman to wear the Ireland crown in almost two decades back in 2017. She was followed by Sophie Devlin from Letterkenny, who is the reigning Miss Donegal 2018. Rebekah Coyle won a wildcard place last year to compete as Miss Donegal North West. Now, it’s time for a new face to wear the crown.Miss Ireland scouts are looking for young women aged 17-27 in Donegal to apply for the competition.There are no height restrictions, but applicants must have a direct connection to Donegal.Miss Ireland is one of the world’s longest running beauty pageants. Established in 1947, it has been the launch pad for many well known, successful and empowering women in Ireland. The competition has not only been successful for the overall winners of the coveted crown but finalists also credit Miss Ireland in helping build their confidence, self esteem, interview and media skills all elements which they have gone on to use in their chosen professional careers.To apply for the Miss Donegal selection, visit the Facebook page and send a private message to the team: https://www.facebook.com/missirelanddonegal/Miss Donegal 2019 calling for applicants was last modified: April 14th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:MIss Donegallast_img read more

Chelsea v Liverpool: match preview, team news, facts and figures

first_imgKick-off: 12.45pm, Saturday 31 October 2015Referee: Mark Clattenburg (Gosforth, Newcastle-upon-Tyne)BetVictor.com preview: Chelsea could edge a close gameMatch in a nutshell: Two big rivals face off at Stamford Bridge, with Jose Mourinho under pressure to get a result.Click here for five key battlesInjuries and suspensionsCHELSEARuled out: Branislav Ivanovic (hamstring), Thibaut Courtois (knee).Fitness test: Diego Costa (rib), Pedro (knock).LIVERPOOLRuled out: Daniel Sturridge (knee), Kolo Toure (hamstring), Jordan Henderson (broken foot), Danny Ings (ruptured knee ligament), Joe Gomez (ruptured knee ligament).Fitness test: Christian Benteke (knee). Possible line-upsChelsea: Begovic; Zouma, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta; Mikel, Ramires; Willian, Fabregas, Hazard; Costa. Subs from: Blackman, Amelia, Aina, Djilobodji, Baba, Matic, Loftus-Cheek, Oscar, Traore, Kenedy, Falcao, Remy.Liverpool: Mignolet; Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno; Lucas, Can; Milner, Coutinho, Lallana; Benteke. Subs from: Bogdan, Toure, Lovren, Allen, Randall, Ibe, Teixeira, Sinclair, Firmino, Origi. Vital statisticsForm guide – last five league matchesChelsea total: L W L D W (7 points)Home: W L W L D (7 points)Liverpool total: D D D W D (7 points)Away: D D L D W (6 points)Top scorers – all competitionsChelsea: Willian 4; Costa 3; Oscar 2, Pedro 2, Ramires 2; Azpilicueta 1, Cahill 1, Fabregas 1, Falcao 1, Hazard 1, Kenedy 1, Matic 1, Remy 1, Zouma 1.Liverpool: Benteke 3, Ings 3; Lallana 2, Sturridge 2; Can 1, Clyne 1, Coutinho 1, Milner 1.Last five meetings10 May 2015: Chelsea 1 Liverpool 127 January 2015: Chelsea 1 Liverpool 020 January 2015: Liverpool 1 Chelsea 18 November 2014: Liverpool 1 Chelsea 227 April 2014: Liverpool 0 Chelsea 2Chelsea 3 wins, Liverpool 0 wins, 2 drawsSee also:Costa and Pedro face fitness testsFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Heat make it official, signing Waiters, Johnson and Olynyk

first_imgOlynyk thinks he and Miami will be a great fit.“The culture here, I’ve heard so much about it,” Olynyk said. “I’m really excited about it.”Olynyk being added to the mix was the lone surprise.Johnson and Waiters had made clear they wanted to stay in Miami long ago.Johnson was courted by the Utah Jazz after Gordon Hayward left for Boston and said he was still getting used to the idea of being a sought-after commodity.ADVERTISEMENT LOOK: Jane De Leon meets fellow ‘Darna’ Marian Rivera China furious as Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games View comments Miami Heat’s Dion Waiters shouts to the fans after shooting a basket in the final seconds of the game to secure the Heat’s victory over the Golden State Warriors during an NBA basketball game in Miami, Monday, Jan. 23, 2017. (Charles Trainor Jr./Miami Herald via AP)MIAMI— They came to the Miami Heat a year ago almost as afterthoughts, two guys with less-than-stellar reputations who didn’t exactly have an abundance of options.Those days are long gone for James Johnson and Dion Waiters.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Nikki Valdez rushes self to ER due to respiratory tract infection LATEST STORIES LaVar Ball on Lonzo’s debut: ‘His worst game ever’center_img Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend Another vape smoker nabbed in Lucena They’re now cornerstones of Miami’s plan to return to contention.Capping several days of salary-cap maneuvering to make sure all the pieces fit the right way, the Heat announced the signings of Johnson, Waiters and newcomer Kelly Olynyk on Friday to new four-year contracts. All were agreed upon earlier this week, though Miami didn’t start closing those deals until more cap space was created earlier in the day by trading Josh McRoberts to Dallas.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsCombined, Johnson, Waiters and Olynyk’s deals have a maximum value of about $165 million. Those three played for $10 million last season.“As soon as Kelly Olynyk became an unrestricted free agent, we pursued him,” Heat President Pat Riley said. “He is not only a post player, he can also play away from the basket. What we like the most is that he is a playmaker, tough defender and rugged rebounder. At just 26 years old, he fits in perfect with our young core that will play together in their primes.” Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “It was my first time ever being in a situation like this,” Johnson said on Friday night. “Everything was mind-boggling and exciting at the same time. I was just riding the rollercoaster.”As intoxicating as it was, he had so many reasons to stay.Johnson could make over $60 million in the next four seasons, a huge bump from the $4 million he played for last season. He dropped 40 pounds, changed his body, changed his outlook and went from someone who bounced around the league — and carried a bit of an underachiever label — to someone Miami trusted to have on the floor at the end of games last season.Waiters transformed as well. He slimmed down at the team request, and his game took off — making him a go-to player in Miami last season.“Dion was so important to us,” Heat point guard Goran Dragic said. “He worked hard and you saw what that did for his game.”Much of the space Miami used this summer was created by the waiving of Chris Bosh, who still gets his $25.3 million salary for this season but doesn’t have it count against the Heat books. The Heat went after Hayward and lost out when he picked Boston, so that meant Miami went to what Riley described as Plan B: keeping its own guys.Waiters was the first big domino to fall Miami’s way in that plan, agreeing to his deal on Wednesday. Johnson and Olynyk agreed on Thursday.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextlast_img read more

Government to Consider Divestment of 10,500 Acres of Former Cane Lands

first_img It is expected that these lands will mostly attract large investors engaging in onion production, fruit tree orchards and exotic crops. Story Highlights The Government is to consider the divestment of 10,500 acres of former sugar-cane lands in St. Catherine, to be used for high-yielding, highly profitable production of non-sugar crops and livestock. This is according to Minister of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries, Hon. Audley Shaw, who informed that he is to receive a proposal from Sugar Company of Jamaica (SCJ) Holdings Limited this week for the rationalisation of these lands, which it owns. The Government is to consider the divestment of 10,500 acres of former sugar-cane lands in St. Catherine, to be used for high-yielding, highly profitable production of non-sugar crops and livestock.It is expected that these lands will mostly attract large investors engaging in onion production, fruit tree orchards and exotic crops.This is according to Minister of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries, Hon. Audley Shaw, who informed that he is to receive a proposal from Sugar Company of Jamaica (SCJ) Holdings Limited this week for the rationalisation of these lands, which it owns.Mr. Shaw, who was making his contribution to the 2018/19 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on May 1, informed that this is part of the 18,000 hectares of land leased by Pan Caribbean Sugar Company, which has been returned to the Government.The lands were once home to the Bernard Lodge Estate, which focused on sugar-cane cultivation, operation of a rum distillery, and eventually ethanol production.The Agriculture Ministry negotiated the return of the lands last year as part of plans to promote greater utilisation of idle arable lands for agricultural production.“We cannot continue to watch good lands lay idle anymore… . These 18,000 hectares of highly fertile, alluvial, flat and mechanisable lands represent the largest contiguous area of lands in Jamaica, suitable and ideal for this agricultural revolution,” he said.Mr. Shaw informed that he has met with SCJ Holdings, Jamaica Promotions Corporation (JAMPRO), the National Irrigation Commission and Agro-Investment Corporation, and has issued instructions for the Bernard Lodge Land Use Master Plan to be developed quickly. The plan will outline how the lands are to be utilised.Of the remaining 7,500 hectares of land to be left available for sugar production, 2,000 hectares of that will be developed as an urban community.last_img read more